Need Ideas For A 50 Yr Olds Birthday Cake

Decorating By Starkie Updated 13 May 2009 , 7:40pm by txsteph

Starkie Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:10am
post #1 of 6

A good friend of ours is turning 50, and his wife is giving him a small surprise party. I want to make a really, really cool cake, 3D if possible, but I'm at a loss! He loves motorcycles, but I've never done a 3D motorcycle, and if I attempt it and it doesn't come out right, I won't have time to get another one done. I don't want to just do a FBCT on a sheetcake ~ I want it to be something he's never seen before!

Any ideas of what I can do? Or can anyone give me a foolproof (AKA Starkie-proof) plan of action for a 3D motorcycle cake? I would really appreciate it!!!!

TIA!
<Starkie>

5 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:19am
post #2 of 6

Does he ride, too? You can always do a 3-D helmet.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mommyle Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:22am
post #3 of 6

Ok. Well, you could search motorcycle on here and get VERY many ideas. you can shape the cake in a 2-D way. Do a FBCT on top. You can shape the cake and then do fondant accents.... Any number of things.
HTH

txsteph Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:39am
post #4 of 6

I found this link Almost at the bottom is pics of a 3D motorcycle .. maybe it can help.

http://www.aboutthecake.com/3dsculptedcakes.htm

It has a support system behind it.

And this link is a 2D cake that might be eaiser but still pretty cool to do

http://www.michellecakes.co.uk/img/port/large/yamaha_bike.jpg

And doing a search here on CC for motorcycle will bring up lots of photos too.

Starkie Posted 13 May 2009 , 10:37am
post #5 of 6

txsteph, I LOVE the yellow motorcycle 2D cake! I think that may be my winner! It's very "dimensional" and has a lot of detail, without needing a lot of structure. Thanks so much for finding that for me! The helmet it a great idea, too ~ one I did not think of at all.

Thanks to all for your ideas!

txsteph Posted 13 May 2009 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkie

txsteph, I LOVE the yellow motorcycle 2D cake! I think that may be my winner! It's very "dimensional" and has a lot of detail, without needing a lot of structure. Thanks so much for finding that for me! The helmet it a great idea, too ~ one I did not think of at all.

Thanks to all for your ideas!

Your welcome, I personally would go with the 2D also, and you can make all the details with fondant and place on there. It looks like a very fun cake, good luck & be sure to post pics for us.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%