Cake Jewelry/deely Bobbers

Decorating By clever_girl1971 Updated 13 May 2009 , 4:19am by mommyle

clever_girl1971 Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:10am
post #1 of 3

I am in need of some advice! I am trying to make a cake with suspended hanging bouncing stars around the cake I am trying to create. I have looked for tutorials, but I don't even know what to call them, so I don't know what to look for. I am about to pull my hair out trying to figure out how to make this 2-D idea become 3-D. What gage wire do you use, how do you get it to stay in the cake without cutting through the fondant and is there a weight-to-wire gage ratio that I should follow? I am trying to make a nursery rhyme cake (man in the moon) with stars suspended around it in a random kind of way. Does anybody have any idea what I'm talking about, or know how to do said effect? Any help would be appreciated! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
Starkie Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:14am
post #2 of 3

I can't help you with everything, but I do know that you need to insert the wires into straws that are inserted into the cake. This keeps the wires out of the cake, and also keeps them from slicing the cake to pieces. Depending on how big the stars are, I would use 18-20 gauge wire. (Maybe 16 gauge if the stars are really heavy.) This would give you enough flexibility without being too thick. I would make a few stars on wires and test them out, if you have time. HTH!

mommyle Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:19am
post #3 of 3

PM this person, or PM someone who has done a cake that you like. I just searched "Wire".

Quote by @%username% on %date%