Fondant Letters And Numbers

Decorating By curiegas Updated 14 May 2009 , 5:38am by bananabread

curiegas Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:26am
post #1 of 7

I want to do a cake with my nieces name on the side and her age on the top. I want to know how soon I can do them. I made a fairy for a class cake and it was very dry and crumbly. How do I make the numbers so they can stand on the top of cake?

Thanks,
Cecilia

6 replies
kimmisue2009 Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:39am
post #2 of 7

I am hesitant to answer because I am so new to all this, but two things I have learned and learned well are patience and gumpaste! With smaller things, I use about one third gumpaste to the fondant. For bulkier things, I would use more. I also form some of my items on skewers or heavy gauge wire (the hardware kind, not the wimpy craft section kind) I also felt free to borrow the practice of making a layer of Rice-Krispies Treats for stability. When you poke things into that stuff, it's as sound as if you used styrofoam. And if you look at my results and wonder why I even try to help, just know that with every cake, I am making tremendous mistakes, but I am having a ball learning. Happy baking!

rainyone Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:44am
post #3 of 7

i did a number with a number mold - for candy melts. it worked as well.

Lisaa1996 Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:45am
post #4 of 7

One of my cakes has a "16" standing up on the top. I used gum paste that I rolled and formed the numbers and then attached a wooden dowel to the back of each number that was hidden by the gum paste. I attached the numbers with a little water on the bottom and sticking the dowels into the cake. I did these a couple days before the cake was due icon_smile.gif

curiegas Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:40am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for all the tips. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,
Cecilia

wildwolves Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:51am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the advice.. I have my son's 2nd Birthday cake to make tomorrow and this will help out heaps! Ill try and make the number and letters today from sugar paste and see how it goes .. Ill post pics when its done icon_smile.gif

bananabread Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:38am
post #7 of 7

you can buy some chocolate molds and make the letters and the numbers with chocolate, and wen they are ready add a little drop of chocolate on the back and attach a toothpick

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%