Fondant Decorations On Buttercream Icing

Decorating By rfleming Updated 13 May 2009 , 3:39am by shelbur10

rfleming Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:49am
post #1 of 4

I am trying to make a cake with fondant decorations on top of buttercream icing. When can I make the fondant decorations? I have not worked with fondant before, but think I can do it. Just not sure if I can make it ahead of time or not. Any recommendations you may have....I would greatly appreciate it! Am I right in thinking the fondant will stick ok to the buttercream? Thanks!!

3 replies
shelbur10 Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:53am
post #2 of 4

You can make the fondant decorations ahead of time if you want. If you don't want them to harden, just cover well. If they're cutouts, they don't need to be dried to put on the cake. And yes, fondant will stick fine. You might need a dab of fresh BC or a bit of water to use as 'glue', especially if your BC has crusted when you put the pieces on.

rfleming Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:07am
post #3 of 4

thanks! do you think 4 or 5 days ahead is too much?? as long as I cover them well i guess??

shelbur10 Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:39am
post #4 of 4

Sure, as long as you cover well or put in an airtight container, they'll be fine. Be careful storing, if they're airtight, they will stick to each other and/or the container. Line it with waxed paper or parchment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%