Depressed.

Lounge By Rylan Updated 21 May 2009 , 6:44am by Ruth0209

Rylan Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:35am
post #1 of 19

Today is such a depressing day. My kitchenaid mixer doesn't work anymore. Since I don't have a job, I can't afford to get a new one. Ah, I just want to let this out. I feel so sad.

18 replies
shelbur10 Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:00am
post #2 of 19

Have you tried calling KitchenAid to see if they can do anything for you? Don't those suckers have a lifetime warranty? (I ask this as if I don't have one sitting in my kitchen, but I just can't remember)

Rylan Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:07am
post #3 of 19

I've checked it online and it says it only has a year of warranty. Also, people I've read reviews and said that they have no luck with it.

shelbur10 Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:15am
post #4 of 19

really. just a year, huh. well, that burst my bubble. now I'm sad for you. icon_cry.gif

ptanyer Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:25am
post #5 of 19

I'm sad for you too! Losing your KA is like cutting off a hand. I baby mine to death. Can you go to Walmart and get a cheap handmixer to get buy with until you can save up for another KA? I know it's not the same as a KA, but maybe you can use it to make enough cakes to get you a new KA.

Keep your chin up, things will get better.

Pam

Rylan Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:04am
post #6 of 19

I know. It seems like my hand is missing. Do you think there would be such a difference using a handmixer when making cakes and buttercream? Do you think the outcome will be different?

Texas_Rose Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:22am
post #7 of 19

Maybe you can find a cheap Kitchen Aid on craigslist. I took a little look at the Las Vegas craigslist and didn't see any cheap ones, but usually if someone's asking a low price it will go fast, so you'd probably have to check a few times a day until you find one.

You could also try getting an estimate for a repair. The place to go would be a small appliance repair shop.

Hey, this is a long shot, but once when my bread machine wouldn't turn on, my husband bent the prongs on the plug a tiny bit closer together and then it worked again.

Cakepro Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:56am
post #8 of 19

Heh, that sucks.

Last year I dropped my Pro6 out of the back of my Suburban and broke it. I ordered another one, but it developed a problem with the switch mechanism about a month after its warranty expired. I called KA and they sent me a new one. I *love love love* KitchenAid (and I have 8 KA mixers plus other KA appliances to prove it!)!! Their customer service rocks! icon_biggrin.gif

I am quite impressed with the longevity of their mixers, too. We got our first one nearly 18 years ago, and it's the one I take with me every month when I teach Course 2 (and in some months twice), plus it's still my go-to mixer for small jobs (it's a 4.5 quart). I have three 5 quart Artisans, a 5 qt lift-bowl, and a 6 qt, which all get quite a bit of action, but I am so impressed with my 4.5 quart!

Some years ago, I bought a pretty red KitchenAid food processor (5 cup capacity) because I needed something in the mid-size range, as I already had an 11 cup professional Cuisinart food processor and a little 3 cup Cuisinart food processor.

Well, I tried grating a block of cheddar cheese in my new 5 cup KA food processor and the darn thing acted like I was trying to get it to pulverize titanium or something! It processed onions and garlic and other stuff just fine, but did not like grating cheese. LOL! So I wrote an email to KA telling them that although I absolutely adore my KitchenAid stand mixers, I was disappointed that my little 3 cup Cuisinart totally kicked the ass of that 5 cup KA. The email was polite and was just a statement of fact a few lines long.

LOL, a week later, completely out of the blue, UPS dropped off a lovely 7 cup red food processor, courtesy of KitchenAid. I was totally blown away! icon_biggrin.gif

So I will forever be a KitchenAid customer. icon_biggrin.gif

ptanyer Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:06pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

I know. It seems like my hand is missing. Do you think there would be such a difference using a handmixer when making cakes and buttercream? Do you think the outcome will be different?

I used a hand mixer my whole life (before I ever dreamed about owning a KA). I've only had my KA for about 4 years now and know how much it helps me.

I bought my KA off ebay 4 years ago and only paid $139 for it, including shipping. Now prices have gone through the roof with the popularity of the cake decorating industry and the products used to work with. But I had to ride out several weeks worth of auctions to finally buy one at a price I could afford.

Go get you a portable mixer, or check thrift stores for old stand mixers and get to making cakes! Don't let the death of your KA stop you!

You mentioned that you are out of a job. Is it possible to pull together enough supplies to make some small cakes or cupcakes that you could distribute samples to people and let them know you can make cakes? I frequently make samples and take to places where I do business - banks, stores, etc so that they can taste my cakes. That, and posting photos of my cakes for people to see has brought me business in the last 2 years. Maybe you could give that a try?

Keep your chin up!

Pam

Idreamofcakes Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:46pm
post #10 of 19

I'm not kidding about this...google giveaway contests...for whatever your needing. I needed a new KA last year. So I googled KA contest giveaways, found a site www.momswhothink.com and all they wanted was a comfort food memory, I gave them my buttercream one. I have been using it since I was a kid. A few weeks later I get an email saying I won, yes I was skeptical, but went for it and gave them my address. A week later on more door step was a brand new beautiful red (my choice) 5 qt KA mixer.
I've had other friends do this with other sites also, it can't hurt right?

tamarawagner99 Posted 13 May 2009 , 9:49pm
post #11 of 19

Sorry to hear it... I only use mine every so often, but I would boo hoo if it crapped out on me. I love that thing!

summernoelle Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:28am
post #12 of 19

I'm sorry this happened! I too have had my Kitchen Aids break. And oh my, I cannot live with out them.
Try contacting the company anyway. They are a large corporation and they have GREAT customer service (I know from experience, LOL). It won't hurt anything to give it a try. icon_smile.gif

mawagner Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:28pm
post #13 of 19

I had my kitchen aid for about 10 years when something with the switch went wrong...it wouldn't turn off unless I unplugged it! LOL Anyway I contacted the customer service department (about where I could find parts or have it fixed) and they offered me a refurbished one (with a one year warranty) as a replacement. I was kind of leery about having a refurbished one, but I have had it almost a year now and have had no problems with it. It might be worth a try for you to contact them!

ceshell Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:37pm
post #14 of 19

That totally blows, and I hope you can either get it fixed or get a cheap replacement for a while. What a pain; you are going to have to use the hand mixer for a while...omg I can't imagine doing some of this stuff with a hand mixer but then again you've gotta figure...they've been making cakes since before there was electricity so at least it can be done icon_biggrin.gif.

Since misery loves company, do you mind if I report here in this thread that my OVEN just broke???!!! AND I HAVE A CAKE DUE SATURDAY! Argh!!!!! I suppose my problem is solvable too - I am going to have to go to someone's house to borrow their oven. Thank goodness I don't have plans for another cake anytime within the next 2 weeks; the oven's on extended warranty so I am sure it will take that long to get a repair person...and then order parts...and then get parts installed. UGH!

Maybe you can borrow a friend's KA! Do you have any recently married friends who might have gotten one as a gift and they don't use it often??? I know you would never want to work a friend's KA to death like we often do, but maybe for a few days...?

Cakepro, I *heart* your food processor story!

Rylan Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:15pm
post #15 of 19

Thanks guys for the support.

Rose, I tried it... it didn't work. I guess there must be something wrong with the motor. Not sure if the grease leak was the main cause.

Cakepro, thats a nice story. I contacted them and I'll see how it goes.

Pam, thats a great deal Oh and that would be a great idea but I'm still working on getting licensed. Oh and Right now, I got a handmixer and it wasn't that great. It spins to fast (maybe the one I got wasn't good). Hopefully next week I can get a new one. I was telling my grandmother about my broken mixer and she volunteered to pay half while my soon to be husband helps with it.

Idreamofcakes, hearing about your story.. now I want to try contests out! haha.

Mawagner, do you have to pay for the refurbished one?

Ceshell, Haha I wish someone else I knew would let me borrow their KA. I hope your baking will be stress free since your oven isn't working. I've always been a fan of your sculpting skills.

mawagner Posted 16 May 2009 , 7:27pm
post #16 of 19

Nope, I didn't have to pay a thing. They sent me the new (refurbished) mixed and I sent them my broken one, but was able to keep all the accessories, so now I am lucky enough to have 2 of everything, which I absolutely LOVE!!! I didn't have to pay shipping or anything and UPS came and picked up the mixer from my house. Like I said, I was very leery about getting a refurbished one, but I decided it was better than a broken one! : ) I was very surprised that they did that since it was 10 years old, so you never know unless you try!

Rylan Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:59am
post #17 of 19

Thanks! What should I tell them? I just emailed them and they just sent me a link to buy refurbished KA

Cakepro Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:31am
post #18 of 19

Simply tell them the truth...that your mixer broke and it is outside of the warranty. Ask if there is anything they can do for you, and if they don't want to give you one, then you'll have to buy one. *Shrug* You can get a refurb for under 200 bucks.

If you've already called and now have emailed, I think you're probably SOL.

Ruth0209 Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:44am
post #19 of 19

I just got a catalog from United Airlines where you can use your frequent flyer miles to buy merchandise. They have an Artisan 5 qt. KA for about 50,000 miles. I don't need another KA, but I thought it was cool that I could use my miles for one if I wanted. I can't afford to take any vacations, so I bought my DH an iPod for his birthday with miles.

Don't know if you have any miles, but if so, you should check that out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%