Fondant Figure Pricing

Decorating By suz3 Updated 16 May 2009 , 7:16pm by kimmyboo925

suz3 Posted 12 May 2009 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 9

I recently made several fondant figures. I made a bear holding a heart, a stork and a rubber ducky. They were 2-3 inches tall. What do you usually charge for this on a cake?

8 replies
shelbur10 Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:07am
post #2 of 9

I'd love to know what people charge for these, too. I usually spend so freaking much time doing them that they're priceless in my book! icon_lol.gif

CanadianCakin Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:12am
post #3 of 9

Sorry I don't have an answer I have never had to charge for these! But I would be interested to know what they run as well!
Good question!
Ashley

trumpetmidget Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 9

For me, it depends on how detailed and how long it takes me. For something that has a good amount of detail and takes a minimum of about 45 minutes to make, my rates start at $25 per piece. I don't know if that is high or low, but I figured it is a handmade figure. If you go to a craft show or a specialty store that has handmade clay figures, they are not just $5. So, I put $25 if I were to sell it seperately at a store like that. HTH

1234me Posted 14 May 2009 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 9

everytime I have seen a post like this, you rarely get a specific answer - I think it varies form person to person. I charge $10 each for something pretty basic.

calivettie Posted 14 May 2009 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 9

I would think it would vary too because everyone puts different amounts of details on their figures.

Like mentioned above, just take into consideration how much time it took you to create it and then work from there. How much would you want to be paid for your time?

I've only made small figures from my head, so don't charge so much (around $10- $25) But, I would assume if they want a specific character or person, it would take much more time, thus cost more. I've heard of people charging $100 for a personalized topper... so its all over the place...

cylstrial Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:12am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by calivettie

I've heard of people charging $100 for a personalized topper... so its all over the place...

That doesn't surprise me! These people are talented and can really capture the essense of the person. For instance, Aine2....WOW!! That's all I can say!

adven68 Posted 16 May 2009 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 9

I guess you have to decide what your hourly wage is and base it on that. If you pay yourself $25/hour and it takes you hour to make a figure, then that's what you should charge.

kimmyboo925 Posted 16 May 2009 , 7:16pm
post #9 of 9

I recently came across the same question.. I made a sesame street cake for my sons first birthday. The one in my cake photos... It took me many long nights to do all the characters. I recently got an order for the same cake but mini... I told the lady the characters were 30 each... she said ok... so they take about an hour each.. and thats that... lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%