Wire In Buttercream

Decorating By rkljazz Updated 13 May 2009 , 5:20pm by rkljazz

rkljazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkljazz Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 4

So a lady wants a cake with little polka dots on wires bursting out around the sides of her buttercream cake. Last time I tried this the wires made ugly marks in the frosting. Is there a certain strength wire I need? Do I have to anchor it some how? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

3 replies
j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 4

There are different gauges of wire... the gauge you use will depend on how heavy the piece and if you want it sticking straight up, or something with a little "droop" to it.

By the way - you're not putting just plain wire into the cake, are you? You might consider using a florist wire which comes in white and green and is covered. Or you can buy florist tape to cover the wire. Even with doing that, some people will still put a small coffee stirrer or something else in the cake to put the wire down into so the cake doesn't have inedible things stuck into it that aren't food friendly. Good luck!

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 4

The wilton lollie pop sticks have holes in them, and the wire will slide right into them and then they hold in the cake better. Also, with the coffee stirrer, you can put some royal icing in it then the wire and let it firm up so the wire holds in the stirrer

rkljazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkljazz Posted 13 May 2009 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 4

great idea with the lollipop sticks and the coffee stirrers. thanks you all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%