Does Anyone Have Ideas To Match This Invitation?

Decorating By uk2usa Updated 18 May 2009 , 2:55pm by uk2usa

uk2usa Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 23

I am doing the wedding cake for bestfriends of mine.
The bride has decided to leave all the ideas up to me.
I have looked through Cake Central, but haven't found anything to match the invitation.
I already have a 3 tier stand.
Please can anyone help??[/list]

22 replies
uk2usa Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 23

Take 2
LL

pouchet82 Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 23

Could you stencil the damask pattern on the cake? Maybe add some gumpaste or real hibiscus on it?

cupcakemkr Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 23

How big will the cake be?

White cake with light orange ribbon and orange hibiscus flowing down or at intervals on tiers.

If thinking outside the box - I LOVE this cake:
http://www.cakelava.com/wedding_gallery.html

I was trying to get the stupid attachment to work and can't! And the link isn't working either - sorry!

If you go to cakelava.com and view the wedding gallery on the second page it is the hibiscus cake that is apliques on an orange background that goes from light to dark orange down the cake. I can't describe it well but it is stunning.

tonedna Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 23

I would take that brocade and make an edible image out of to put it on the cake and on top I would put a small ribbon just like it shows in the invite. And i would use Hibiscus as my flower to decorate.. That's just staying as close to it as possible..

Getting a bit out of the box, you can do a cake in the champange with white stencils and some brown ribbon.. Still I would finish it with my hisbiscus as tha focal point of the cake..
Ednaicon_smile.gif

Rosiepan Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 23

I am sure you wil get lots of good ideas from those more knowledgable than me but I was thinking maybe using one of those stencils like the damask ones for the strip and maybe do the flower in brush embroidery. Not that I have ever attempted either so do not know how possible it would be to do the 2 together.

confectioneista Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:36pm
post #7 of 23

I vote for Edna's "out of the box" idea - sounds tres chic! icon_smile.gif

beachcakes Posted 12 May 2009 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 23

The damask stencils make a nice looking cake. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1350439 I love Edna's idea! icon_smile.gif

JCE62108 Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:50pm
post #9 of 23

OOOoooo how pretty.

Ivory fondant with a goldish floral ribbon border with a print similar to that "stripe" (Im sure there is something out there close enough), and some orange gumpaste hibiscus just accenting it. I wouldnt put too many. Maybe some on the top tier, and maybe two on the second tier, and 3 or 4 on the cake board at the bottom. I dont think you can find fresh hibiscus. They make horrible cut flowers. I dont know if anyone ever uses silk flowers for cakes, but Ive seen lots of beautiful orange hibiscus at Michaels. I bought some. icon_smile.gif If you find some high enough quality silk flowers I think it should be acceptable. I would do the cake stacked. I think it would be simple, beautiful, and elegant this way. JMO. icon_smile.gif

sayhellojana Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:02am
post #10 of 23

I love the damask stencil idea, but I wouldn't do anything TOO contrasty. Like Edna suggested, champagne or off white with a nice true white would be elegant and stunning with hibiscus. If you did just a damask pattern on the front side of the cake and had the tiers line up, as opposed to a whole repeating pattern all over, I think that would showcase the hibiscus nicely too. Good Luck!

jimandmollie Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:31am
post #11 of 23

I would do something like this.....

The patterned and brown ribbon pulls those colors from the invitation and the blue monogram brings in the blue. I also agree with the silk or gumpaste flowers.

Sure, I can do it in Gimp. Too bad I can't do it in real life! lol icon_biggrin.gif Good Luck with whatever you decide!

*edited to reduce size of image.

tonedna Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:35am
post #12 of 23

Thats exactly what I had in mind too!..
Edna icon_smile.gif

krissycupcakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:45am
post #13 of 23

i like jimand mollies idea if you try the brushed look i wanna hear all about it cause im not that brave. ill let my mom try first and then tell me about it!! hahaha she the braver one of us we bother learned everything we know on CCbut if anythingstay simple you cant mess up simple!!!

CakesByLJ Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:52am
post #14 of 23

I love those ideas... I just did a cake last week using royal icing hibiscus in orange (and bright pink) Everyone loved the flowers and ate them all... icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif It's in my photos.. first picture..

uk2usa Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:16pm
post #15 of 23

Thank you to all of you for your ideas. My friend will definitely be pleased that i asked you guys. i am everso grateful.

jamiekwebb Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:32pm
post #16 of 23

Love, love, love that drawing. It matvhes perfectly and looks elegant and modern

cakeinthebox4U Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:47pm
post #17 of 23

Jimandmollie what software did you use to make that template? I'd love to know!! Thanks.

jimandmollie Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:24pm
post #18 of 23

I downloaded Gimp. It doesn't cost anything and can do a lot. The only thing is that it is a pretty big program so it may slow down an older computer. There are lots of tutorials on the web to learn how to do different effects. There are also lots of different paintbrush packages and texts you can download if you search for them. I highly recommend it. Just google "Gimp" and you will find it. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

cakeinthebox4U Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:46pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandmollie

I downloaded Gimp. It doesn't cost anything and can do a lot. The only thing is that it is a pretty big program so it may slow down an older computer. There are lots of tutorials on the web to learn how to do different effects. There are also lots of different paintbrush packages and texts you can download if you search for them. I highly recommend it. Just google "Gimp" and you will find it. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks, I'll have to check it out!

uk2usa Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:20pm
post #20 of 23

jimandmollie:
you are the greatest.
will definitely check out Gimp.
I even told my hubby how it was so nice of you to design an idea for me.
Thanks.

jimandmollie Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:32pm
post #21 of 23

awww shucks lol

I am glad to help. You guys help me out all the time! It feels good to be able to return the favor once in a while! icon_smile.gif

Make sure you let us know how it turns out!

JCE62108 Posted 14 May 2009 , 7:42pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandmollie

I would do something like this.....

The patterned and brown ribbon pulls those colors from the invitation and the blue monogram brings in the blue. I also agree with the silk or gumpaste flowers.

Sure, I can do it in Gimp. Too bad I can't do it in real life! lol icon_biggrin.gif Good Luck with whatever you decide!

*edited to reduce size of image.

That is EXACTLY what I was describing. LOL. Except I would do it round. That is so funny.

uk2usa Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:55pm
post #23 of 23

jimandmollie:

my friends love your idea.
they want square shape cakes.
so i better start buying square tins and practice the stencilling.
i can't wait to do it.
the only thing that will be different is that they may want a cake topper instead of hibiscus.

Thanks a million.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%