Trying To Use Quilted Impressions Mat On Buttercream! Help!

Decorating By Binzer12 Updated 12 May 2009 , 8:49pm by Binzer12

Binzer12 Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 6

I would like to get the quilted look on buttercream, does anyone have any helpful hints?? I was told I could use an impressions mat?

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 6

Yes...you use impressions mats on Crusted buttercream.I coat my mat with icing sugar and gently press it onto the sides of the cake of it has set up and crusted.It should leave an impression of the design.You cannot do this with non crusting icings though or it will be a big mess.

Price Posted 12 May 2009 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 6

I have used the impression mat on crusted buttercream. It really makes a pretty cake. I usually put little fondant pearls or flowers at the intersections of the diamonds. I love the look it gives. People are always amazed. They think it was really hard to do. Little do they know it's one of the easiest methods of decorating! icon_biggrin.gif

Heatherly30 Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 6

Also done this on my crusting bc. Dust with powdered sugar and press onto the side of the cake. Remove gently and wipe the impression mat clean with a paper towel. Re-dust with more powdered sugar and re-apply to the next section of the cake. Be sure to wipe the mat after each application (I learned the hard way)!

GenGen Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 6

never thought of powdered sugar for this. wouldn't cornstarch work too?

Binzer12 Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone! I was wondering about the powder sugar, good call! and thanks for the cleaning off tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%