Icing And Decorating A Pre-Sliced Cake

Decorating By FatFace Updated 13 May 2009 , 2:07am by cakeandpartygirl

FatFace Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 7

A friend of mine told me that her mother used to own a bakery and she would bake sheet cakes that she would slice carefully before she would ice and decorate them. The end result would looked as if it had never been sliced. Has anyone ever done this before?

6 replies
pinkflower1212 Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 7

This sounds interesting......here'a s bump

butterfly831915 Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 7

I myself would like to know how to do this one. Sounds really interesting...

Justbeck101 Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 7

seems like it would be just like decorating a cupcake cake

margaretb Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 7

Never done it, but probably no harder than making a cupcake cake. Probably easier, since the cake would still be in it's original shape -- you'd just have to be careful about crumbs when icing. I think it would be annoying scooping out, though -- either you have to cut the icing anyway to find the squares, or else you pull the pieces off and the icing might all get on one piece and pull off another (like pizza toppings do and you end up with toppings hanging off one slice and the next slice naked).

niccicola Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:56am
post #6 of 7

i haven't done it with a sheet cake, but I had a bakery call me up and ask if I could just ice and decorate 2 pre-sliced cakes. They were blueberry crumb cakes, just like you would get at a restaurant with the wax paper seperating the slices.

They dropped them off to me frozen. I didn't even let them thaw. I transferred them to a new cake board (because the one that comes with the cake from the factory is warped as the cake has probably thawed and frozen several times before it arrives at its end destination). Took out all the wax paper, kept it in the round shape it was and iced it with med-thin buttercream.

Worked like a charm. I don't see why you couldn't do it with a cake that YOU pre-slice.

(BTW-i don't have pictures because they are on a memory card that does not fit my new camera and i don't have a memory card reader, nor have i made the effort to take it to a photo developing station. probably need to, huh?)

cakeandpartygirl Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:07am
post #7 of 7

I used to work in a bakery that did the same thing. I believe that they didn't slice it all the way through. I didn't do it because as a decorator they had a person that did all of the icing on the cakes but like I said it has been done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%