My Cake Sold For $50 At A Silent Auction. Does That Seem...

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 13 May 2009 , 3:58am by fosterscreations

Bellatheball Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 17

I hate to think what that meant to cost/hour. icon_confused.gif

I mostly do this for fun but I've been getting requests for paid cakes so I need to start thinking about costs. Does $50 seem right for this cake? It was 9x5 inches and about 5 inches tall. The lid, shoe and tissue are gumpaste.

16 replies
Loucinda Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 17

The cake is gorgeous. I have learned (the hard way like you I think) that when we "donate" our cakes, we have to just let go. It is rare that they are sold for what they are worth. I have learned that IF I donate it, I don't want to know anymore about it. I just write it off as it is a good cause and it is not my deal how much they got from it. icon_sad.gif

shelly-101 Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 17

it is very pretty and you probably have about that much in supplies and not to mention your time i think it should have went for more people don't realize what goes into cakes i just did one for a fund raiser also and i was really disappointed it only went for 90.00 and i had more than that in supplies and with all of the details i had the better part of a weak in that cake.

gladysrdz24 Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 17

What a nice cake!!!! I guess yeah youre right it does seem kind of low but it was an auction for charity so you cant get too greedy. I suppose that if it had been an order it would have been at least 100 right? It goes back to the same thing we all CC'ers complain about. Non cakers how long it takes to do a cake. Baking, preparing, designing, and decorating... when you get down to it its very time consuming. But just think of it this way... you got to practice new techniques and maybe you'll get a couple of orders out of it.... gotta keep youre head up!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

BeesKnees578 Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 17

Reasonable for a paying customer who specifically asked for this type of cake? No.

For an auction? Maybe. What you have to remember is that you made the donation hoping that it would make some money for the charity, not in the amount that it's worth to you. Don't be offended. Maybe the right person wasn't there that day, because the right person would know that it was worth much more. It's beautiful and it's clear that it took some time to do.

I do several donations for charities each year. I have to limit them, but I look at it as a business opportunity. My biggest to date was dessert for 240 people to raise money for senior citizens. I have been decorating for awhile just by word of mouth and now that my boys are older (by older, I mean 7, 5, and 2), I am working on cheap ways to get my name out there. So I donated the desserts hoping it would eventually pay off. They were an absolute hit and everyone was so grateful. Because of it, I was hired by Cleveland's Q104 personality, Glenn Anderson, to do his daughter's 1st Birthday Cupcakes. He was the DJ for the event. He knows people who know people, who know people. . . For my taxes, I will show a $910.00 donation, but I didn't think of it in those terms.

I guess I look at it as the cost of doing business.

Hope that makes you feel a little better. In this economy, you might even consider them lucky to have made that much on it.

tiggerjo Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 17

I can't be of any help about the price but it sure is a great looking cake. I too am stumped when it comes to charging. I am so new at this point that I only charge 6.50 for a 1 mix cake just to cover my supplies. I did do a cake that was a 13 x 9 done in bc with 3 fondant pine trees, a fondant row boat a 3 small fondant fish will gel water and a grassy bank. What do you think it would have been worth? It came out decent and the man's wife was very pleased with it.

sweetjan Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 17

Gorgeous cake, beautifully done. Because it was a charity auction, no, the $50.00 does not surprise me. Great job on your part all around! thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 17

Charity silent auctions are totally different than selling something for full price. If they were the same, we'd all be calling our businesses charities! icon_wink.gif

I'll bet that if is was a live auction it would have gone for more, people tend to get riled up for those. Silent auctions are sneakier...People will upbid by $1 at the last minute to win something. It doesn't reflect on the actual value of the donated item.

Caralinc Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:23pm
post #9 of 17

I agree with the previous PP. I absolutely love the shoe- I love shoes and this one is great!! You did an excellent job. I just think because non cakers have no idea what cakes go for they started the bidding to low. Hopefully you will receive orders from your lovely display. What a great way to donate to a charity!!

emccle Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 17

I also did a cake for a silent auction benefitting Relay for Life (cancer research). The high bid was $45.00. I overheard one person ask why would anyone pay $45.00 for a cake? icon_confused.gif Yikes! When I think about how many hours I put into that cake. Loucinda, I agree with you, just walk away and feel good knowing that you did your part to donate. I'm afraid that some people see a silent auction as a chance to get a quality cake for a cheap price, and forget that they are making a donation to a worthy charity.

mommachris Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:41pm
post #11 of 17

I agree with everyone else, if it had been an order it would be a different story. Your cake is wonderful. Makes me want to try a shoe cake, but me and fondant don't get along.

Every spring and winter our local hospital has a bake sale to raise money for special equipment. I started bringing in small cakes about three years ago and they never make it to the table. The first year it was bought by the lady pricing the items....hummm.
The following sale my cake wasn't even put on the table as someone had requested it be set aside for them.
The next year, I got a call from the ladies asking when I was going to arrive and what flavor I was bringing. They already knew I was going to bake so they weren't being presumptuous just making sure they didn't miss me. This spring I was met at the door by the administer who said she always got a piece of the cake but this time she was going to buy it for herself.
It is kind of sweet that they like my cakes and it is an ego boost, too.
With the way my life is right now I wouldn't want to be in business. So donations are my way of satisfying the need to bake.

It's for a good cause. Don't take it personally.

STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:42pm
post #12 of 17
Originally Posted by Bellatheball

I hate to think what that meant to cost/hour. icon_confused.gif

I mostly do this for fun but I've been getting requests for paid cakes so I need to start thinking about costs. Does $50 seem right for this cake? It was 9x5 inches and about 5 inches tall. The lid, shoe and tissue are gumpaste.

i saw the picture: BEAUTIFUL

NO 50 bucks is not right for a PAYING client. At least 100 bucks- no questions asked. If they want that look they have to pay for it. Or they can have a Wally-World cake if they want. Im sorry if im coming off a bit harsh: I was walking down the street one day with the cake I have posted on CC (i have no clue on how to link it sorry) and a lady stops me and gushes all over the cake and ask me how much so I told her the price I was charging my Co-Worker: I say $75.00 she said "OO hell No" I said, Well it is what it is, and I kept walking. I tell my co-worker how much and she goes "thats it?" So there you go. "It is what it is". Don't undersell your product or your talent, and you will be very happy. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Happy caking,

cylstrial Posted 12 May 2009 , 7:49pm
post #13 of 17

Beautiful cake!! And it totally should have made way more money than $50!!

Win Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:04pm
post #14 of 17

Cheer up. I had a friend whose cake got about twelve bucks at a silent auction! icon_cry.gif You have to look at as a good-will gesture and not as what you know it to be worth. You will get attention from it, I'm sure, and that will be the silver lining to the little 50.00 cloud. thumbs_up.gif

beachcakes Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:55pm
post #15 of 17

Yep - like everyone else said! Donation prices are no reflection of your ability or cake worth. Your cake is beautiful!!

I recently brought 5 dozen Mr. Met cookies to my son's school bake sale. Took me 12 hours to make them all spread over two days. They sold for .50 each!!! Then they sold the leftovers the next day for .25! icon_sad.gif

Non-cake people really have no clue...

Bellatheball Posted 12 May 2009 , 10:39pm
post #16 of 17

Thanks everyone for the kind comments and feedback. I'm not really disappointed with the price. I just didn't want to think about the time it took to make it in relation to the price. icon_biggrin.gif It was fun to try something new and let it go to a good cause (rather than the work breakroom). Part of me was just curious if I was overestimating it's value.

fosterscreations Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:58am
post #17 of 17

I do cakes for a couple of auctions each year. Some go high and some go low. It really just depends on the crowd, what flavor they like and often times if their kids want it bad enough they will pay. I always like to see how much my cakes bring in. Each year I try to out do the previous year.

Quote by @%username% on %date%