New Decorators Goody Bag

Decorating By CABBYJ Updated 12 May 2009 , 5:42pm by varika

CABBYJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CABBYJ Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 5

icon_biggrin.gif I've decided to add cake decorating as my new hobby. I'm a beginner and just looking for ideas for the must have tools of the trade. My budget it tight so right now I'm looking for the basics. I plan on taking the Wilton I class this summer but so far everthing I'm learning is from here!

4 replies
goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 5

I would look at the contents of the Wilton Class 1 for the tips and go from there. There are threads on here of favorite tips and favorite borders. Just to get an idea of what you would like to work on. HTH

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 5

Not sure where you live, but always look for Michaels coupons or Joann's. They usually have 40% off coupons in their weekly flyers. This is a good way to stock up and save money.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 5

a good turntable, helps with the icing part. Passion for the art...

}i{

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 5

I would say the basics are...the Wilton I kit--especially if you're going to take the class, too--and a large offset spatula for frosting your cake, an inexpensive turntable, and a large box of toothpicks. Everything else, you can build up slowly over time like I have. (I was in your shoes last summer; this summer, I have probably $300 worth of decorating crapola! icon_confused.gif ) Some stuff I prefer to buy every time I start a new cake, like cake boards; they have a tendency to get very ruined very fast in my house, since my cat likes to chew on cardboard. icon_eek.gif

Also, I personally really love the disposable plastic decorator bags, to the point where that's pretty much all I use. If I were taking the course again, I wouldn't even bother with the parchment triangles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%