How You Bake Out Of Your Home?

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 14 May 2009 , 12:45pm by jamiekwebb

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 12

Would any of you CCer's mind sharing how you bake out of your home? I don't have a business, just do this for friends and for fun. I don't have a basement to store things so I have a card table set up in our front entry next to my kitchen. I have everything stored in boxes under the table and things in progress on top of the table. The issue is, I live in Michigan where it can be humid in the summer, and we don't have air conditioning. We usually open the front entry door to catch a breeze when we can. I don't know what to do with my cake stuff. My WONDERFUL husband thinks we should get something like a used house trailer that we could use for storage and my cake decorating addiction. I hate to put that expense out there. Things are tight and I hate the idea of putting money into this. Not only the cost of the trailer, but having to fix it up, run water to it, have to heat it, etc. Any suggestions.

This has been heavy on my mind. Thanks for listening. icon_wink.gif

11 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 12

Sheilabelle, I sympathize with you. Sounds like you have even less space than I do thumbsdown.gif I use a bunch of plastic totes that seal well (to keep dust out) and my Mom has an OLD dresser that has 1 very deep drawer that she lets me use for my pans. Is getting a plastic shed type structure workable? As long as you can keep it sealed tight and locked, it would be a much more cost effective alternative to a trailer.

Good Luck & Let us know how you make out icon_biggrin.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 12

you might want to ask this in the "cake business" thread. you will get a bigger response, seeing as that's were all this sort of stuff is discussed. thumbs_up.gif

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 12

thsi is actually kind of funny ...i am pretty new to the cake decorating world so i am just doing it at home right now, anyway, after hurricane ike our roof came off, house flooded, etc and for some strange reason our oven won't come on anymore so i have been baking everything in a toaster oven, lol. we are buying a house and renovating so it would be a waste of money to buy a new oven. i just have to be patient, but i thought that would be something funny for future stories. if i need something larger that 10" i have to borrow my mil's kitchen, lol.

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 12

I store my items in an upright freezer that is turned off. It does work, but we already have one running. It's perfect because I use the shelves for cake boards, pans and bowls and then on the door I can put my flavorings, containers with my tips, colors and whatever else. Close the door and it's sealed to keep everything clean.

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 12

I took over a spare bedroom and use the closet to store all of my stuff and then converted the room into a consultation room

I do have a lot of plastic storage container that I use to organize stuff and some of the stuff I use all the time I keep in a couple of kitchen cabinets

If you don't have a spare room or closet....I would look into some kind of storage system so that you can keep things organized. good luck

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 12

I have an office that I use for prep workroom. I have a high table that I have dresser drawers underneath on both sides. I have a finished board that is above those like a shelf that is the entire table length/width. I use the drawers for tips, cutters, bags etc. The shelf holds the cake pans, upside down, the cake boards that won't fit in the drawers, the foil wrap, at the like. The table is 4x6. We are getting casters for the tables and dressers to slide against the wall when not in use. I have seen some plastic storage bins with drawers at Big Lots for $15 that I have thought about getting. DH thinks we can slide them under the dinning table when needed. It is just about finding and using every space possible.

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 12

I feel with all of you. I am jsut starting with this and it has taken over a couple of my kitchen cabinets. I am going to get a few rubbermaid drawer cabinets to organize stuff and picking up the ultimate tool orgainzer at hobby lobby at 40% off.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:58pm
post #9 of 12

I did not care for the tool organizer. I have the little drawers from the hardward store that holds screws and nails and the like for the tips. I have the tips by numbers in the drawers, couplers, nails, etc. I have a larger set that holds the wilton size colors, luster and petal dusts.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:44am
post #10 of 12
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:58am
post #11 of 12

Don't waste your money on that tool organizer, it doesn't hold much.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:45pm
post #12 of 12

No, the tool organizer doesn't hold much. I had a custom cabinet built for my stuff. 6'x4'x18". So far it works great. I have alot of stuff but not a ton.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%