Scratch Bakers Using Scratch Fondant!!!

Decorating By Sasha_Sweetie Updated 13 May 2009 , 12:40pm by mclaren

Sasha_Sweetie Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all you scratch bakers out there. I have been reading some heated discussion on scratch versus mix, but I wanted to know how many of you scratch bakers make your own fondant from scratch.

I am not sure if the Marshmallow fondant counts as that is a processed item.

If you use scratch fondant how does that add to your cake pricing.

9 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 10

Well...I use Satin Ice sometimes and then I make MFF, which is Michele Foster's Fondant which kicks marshmallow fondant's butt outta the water!

costumeczar Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 10

I make my own fondant from scratch using the basic recipe that's been around for years. No marshmallow involved, I think that I tried that once after reading about it here but I didn't like it (It must be the artificial vanilla, I don't like that.)

It's cheaper to use homemade fondant, and you can avoid the nasty artificial flavors if you make your own (did I mention that I don't like them? icon_rolleyes.gif ) I charge $1 per serving more for fondant than I do for buttercream, that's pretty much the standard in my area.

crazycaker Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 10

Cakes: from scratch
Fillings: from scratch
Fondant: a variation on MFF -- scratch
Gumpaste: a variation on N. Lodge's recipe
Butter-cream: with butter, from scratch
Jams and jellies: yes, my own too, for fillings.

I fill a niche market, certainly. I don't think larger-scale productions would want to use this judgements made. thumbs_up.gif

PinkZiab Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 10

I've never made marshmallow fondant. I started out making my own fondant from scratch, but once I got into working in volume, it become more time and cost effective to use Satin Ice. I tried MANY different brands before I found one I was satisfied with. To me, Satin Ice tastes and handles as good as the fondant I make myself, so I have no issues using it. Of course I'm not working at high volume at the moment, but I'm in love with Satin Ice, so I won't stop now lol... but sometimes when I'm short on fondant I'll still whip some of my own up. Everything else is made from scratch.

Sasha_Sweetie Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 10

It is great to hear from you and your ideas about fondant. Of course there are times to use scratch fondant and other times it is more feasible to use pre made fondant.

I have always made cakes from scratch but only used commercial fondant in the cake shop. I will have to try some recipes for fondant from scratch as reading the forums has made me think more about the different approaches to cake decorating.

varika Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 10

I guess I'm in the "semi-homemade" category on this one, then; I've tried Satin Ice and didn't care for it--I felt it had an aftertaste that I didn't care for. But I do make MMF, when I use fondant, because most of the people I've made it for will actually eat it.

I'm not quite ready to try full-fledged fondant from scratch yet, mostly because some of the ingredients are kinda pricey in my area, as compared to a bag of marshmallows and some powdered sugar. I do intend to give it a try at some point, though, probably over the summer while I'm off work. And...I'll probably try the Michelle Foster's Fondant recipe, because I hear nothing but good about it. (...if it tastes like Satin Ice, though, I may just switch to candy clay for coverings!)

pouchet82 Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:39pm
post #8 of 10

I make my own fondant from scratch, in my area it is cheaper than making MMF. It doesn't cost too much to make for me.

Loucinda Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 10

Not a scratch baker - but I do make my own fondant (MMF and others - still trying recipes!) I tried Satin Ice but liked the way MMF handles better.

mclaren Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:40pm
post #10 of 10

i'm a scratch baker, and i've only used michele foster's with WC fondant. and with scratch icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%