Wilton Castle Kits

Decorating By manahigh Updated 14 May 2009 , 10:18pm by sweet1122

manahigh Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 19

I am considering buying one for a castle cake for my grand-daughter upcoming birthday cake. Can anyone give me any pros and cons regarding this kit? I am just a home baker that enjoys doing cakes for family so my skills are so so. I have worked with fondant although I have yet to cover a cake with it. Any information regarding this product would be so appreciated. Thanks in advance.

18 replies
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 12 May 2009 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 19

I have it. It is very easy to use, just takes a long time to make the bits and pieces to go on it (flowers and leaves). I only covered the top of the turrets in fondant-I just used a little bit of piping gel to "glue" the fondant to the turret. The only real downfall would be spending $20 and only using it once. I've used it twice now, so I guess I'm getting my $$ worth, except they were both free cakes!!

manahigh Posted 12 May 2009 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 19

Thanks for a quick response, SweetMelissa. I think you did a wonderful job using the kit. I love how you used the flowers to accent the cake. Did you transport the cake? I will have to take it to my daughter's home (30 mins away) and am concerned about the towers staying put and not falling over during the trip. I don't mind spending the money because I have four other granddaughters and I am sure I will have the opportunity to use it many times.

Is there anyone out there that had a difficult time using this kit? Would like to hear more responses.

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 12 May 2009 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 19

The first time I did it I attached the pieces with BC frosting and that DID NOT WORK! The pieces all fell off on the way! The second time I attached them with melted chocolate. They were much stronger but I still put it together at the party just in case!

noyhoward Posted 12 May 2009 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 19

I did one for my sister-in-law's little girl.I put royal icing around the pieces to glue it.Her husband carried on his lap in the front seat & drove 20 miles where the party was.They told me that it stayed put.I was very suprised.But I took supplies with me to the party incase I had to fix it but I didn't have to.

pipe-dreams Posted 12 May 2009 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 19

I also bought this for my daughter's bday cake. This was before I started making cakes..so I was not experienced at all! I had a hard time getting the turrets to stand up. I used the melted chocolate, but it was frustrating. You have to actually dip the dowel in the choc. and spin the dowel to get more than just a dab on there, more like a blob of chocolate. That is the only way I could get it to work. I love the way they turn out, and I think you could get more uses out of it. You can use it for a haunted mansion type halloween cake, princess castle, medieval theme, sand castle.
Anyway, I would probably attach them at the party as opposed to traveling with them! Good luck!

ajh16211 Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 19

I used the kit two weekends ago, and loved it. I did have one issue with the three I put in the top of the cake. I guess I didn't shove them far enough down and the biggest one feel over and cracked the cake so then the others fell. I waited until an hour before the party to fix it just in case they fell again.
LL

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 19

(You have to actually dip the dowel in the choc. and spin the dowel to get more than just a dab on there, more like a blob of chocolate.)

You can melt your chocolate in a disposable piping bag and use that to apply to the turrets.

Madiken Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 19

I was worried about the turrets falling too. There fore, I had my hubby drill small holes in the bottom of the ones that would rest on the cake. I then inserted dowels into the holes and inserted the dowels into the cake. It worked perfectly! I glued the turrets that were resting on the cakeboard right to the board. Worked like a charm.

Shannie13 Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:24pm
post #10 of 19

I had the same problem as AJ. My turrets were cemented with chocolate but the biggest turret on the cake fell over. I will definitely attach the top 3 turrets at the destination next time. I traveled with mine in the back of my car for 45 minutes on the bumpiest road so they hold pretty good. It was definitely worth the $ I spent on it.

brincess_b Posted 13 May 2009 , 5:49pm
post #11 of 19

there were a lot of wilton castle cakes in the fairytale competition a few months ago. ive got to say, the ones with out covering the turrets were still pretty, but it looks so much better when you cover them too, or make them your self.
xx

AmyGonzalez Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:48am
post #12 of 19

I actually bought the castle kit for my daughters 8th birthday party. The cake came out great and everyone loved it, but boy did it take forever to decorate. icon_cry.gif Decorating the turrets was the most time consuming. In the end I have to say it was well worth it. Seeing my daughters face and all her friends admiring it was priceless! icon_biggrin.gif

www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1297618

KatieKake Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:11am
post #13 of 19

I would like to suggest you make your own castle, it is quite easy, and if you do it as I did making it out of a styrofoam dummy, tubes from plastic wrap, and fondant, the birthday girl will be able to save it. I have made two of them now for my little granddaughters, The oldest one has had her castle as the center piece on the table, for every birthday since then. The younger one just had her "castle cake" birthday this past January. The castle sat on a base cake which was served. With each cake I had a picture of the birthday princess looking out a tower window.

My daughter-in-law has had several offers to either sell or rent the castles for birthday parties.

CanadianCakin Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:19am
post #14 of 19

Thanks for the great tips....great manahigh! I bought the kit and am planning to use for my DD 4th birthday next month these tips are great! I'm glad to know in advance that it will be time consuming!
I lucked out the Wal-Mart in my town had the kits on clearance for $15....Canadian!!!
lol
Thanks again everyone!

splash2splat Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:33am
post #15 of 19

I agree it is really time consuming - I did the castle for my sons 6th birthday. I did the cake in buttercream with fondant towers and accents. I like madiken's idea with the towers.
Here's my cake pic:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1334384

sweet1122 Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:46am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madiken

I was worried about the turrets falling too. There fore, I had my hubby drill small holes in the bottom of the ones that would rest on the cake. I then inserted dowels into the holes and inserted the dowels into the cake. It worked perfectly! I glued the turrets that were resting on the cakeboard right to the board. Worked like a charm.

Ditto. Worked great! I wouldn't do it any other way! thumbs_up.gif

manahigh Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:10pm
post #17 of 19

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the great advice. With all the positive responses, I went out today and bought the kit and am anxious to make it for May 30th.

I was wondering if those of you that used fondant to decorate the turrets had to use something to make the leaves, flowers and outlining of the windows and doors to make it stick. Also since it is so labor intensive, will it be okay to start a week in advance to decorate the turrets.

Thanks again everyone. I've looked at all the photos of your cakes and they are beautiful.

AmyGonzalez Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:15pm
post #18 of 19

Awesome! icon_biggrin.gif Can't wait to see how your castle turns out.

sweet1122 Posted 14 May 2009 , 10:18pm
post #19 of 19

Yes, you can start as early as you'd like with the turrets. It would be a GREAT idea thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%