Elementary School Career Day

Decorating By wakeandbake Updated 13 May 2009 , 2:18am by angelicconfections

wakeandbake Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 7

for some crazy reason i have been asked to come to career day at my son's elementary school to give a demonstration on cake decorating. i am kind of at a loss as to what i could do because there will be four 20 minute demonstration sessions with about 20-25 1st graders. the teacher who is coordinating this thinks that i could ice and decorate a cake and show the kids how to decorate a cupcake at each session! i told her that there was no way that i could do that but that i would try and see what i could come up with. i was thinking of showing them how the different tips can be used to make different decorations but honestly, i don't think that i will have time for that either if i am going to help them decorate a cupcake. anyone have any ideas?

6 replies
crazycaker Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 7

Maybe for first graders...how about the have some cups of M&M's, gum drops, etc. and have them place them on the pre-frosted cupcakes for bear's faces and things like that. You could give the "finishing touch" to each, adding whiskers and eyelashes, assembly line with a #3 tip or something. It would help if the teacher or an aid could help the kids get the basic decorations on, so you cold do the "ta-da!" part...

Just a thought...I think the book Hello Cupcake has lots of things like this, where some of it is easy, and then you finish it with a #3 tip.

I have to do a career day for some High School students soon...I think I'll show them how to do a ganache!

JCE62108 Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 7

I think thats a great idea. Just make it easy on yourself. The kids will get a kick out of playing with all that stuff. They arent really going to care about what you have to say, about the tips and all that. They will just get lost if you make it too complicated. They are just thinking... OOOO CAKE AND CANDY! I think making animals or other simple patterns on a cupcake using decorations is a good idea. Keep your demo short and sweet. Say "I get to make cakes for my job. Doesnt that sound like fun? Today Im going to show you how to make a flower/animal/etc. on your cupcake...and then you get to eat it!" That's when the kids go nuts. lol. I think it sounds like fun. Good luck, hun!

wakeandbake Posted 12 May 2009 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 7

thanks for your input ladies! i was thinking the same thing except that she really wants the kids to be able to ice the cupcakes themselves and decorate the cupcakes using bags fitted with icing tips. the more i think about it the more i think there just isn't enough time for it. not with that many kids. maybe if they were bigger kids that had a little more manual dexterity...

JCE62108 Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:15am
post #5 of 7

FairyPoppins Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:10am
post #6 of 7

20-25 first graders decorating cupcakes for 20 minutes? Sounds like a nightmare to me - not to mention all the preparation you would have to do and the equipment you would need.

If it were me I would put a blob of frosting on each cupcake and have them spread it with a plastic knife and then maybe decorate with some m&ms or other candies. I certainly wouldn't let them work with piping bags. There'll be frosting everywhere.

You could also roll out some fondant or MMF and let them cut out a shape to put on the cake.

Honestly I don't think the teacher realises how much time and effort it takes to use a piping bag.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do!

angelicconfections Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:18am
post #7 of 7

wow, that is a pretty big deal. I think using simple deorations on cupcakes would be good, you could also have them cut out shapes from fondant, my kids love that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%