Starting A Cake Business

Business By YummyChoo Updated 13 May 2009 , 10:54am by agroeve

YummyChoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyChoo Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I want to start a cake business from home initailly and maybe on cake stalls, I have completed my food and hygience safety course and have registered my name with the local authority.. I think they will send someone over to check my kitchen out, how do I need to prepare for this??? any tips
Also what should be my next move? set up a cake stall? do some business cards?
Thanks

5 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 6

Rules and regulations vary greatly by location. Where are you?

Also, what is a cake stall? I've never heard that term.

It sure sounds like you are off to a good start.

YummyChoo Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 6

Im living in London!
A cake stall is just like a market stall, I thought might be a good place to start out.. Ive have baked for friends and family and so on.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 6

I've done Farmers' Markets before, here these tend to be seasonal, rather than the typical British street market which runs year round.

I probably won't do them again - I find that people want a 'bargain' and will not pay $$$ for fancy decorated (added-value) items, but want plain cakes and cookies for tea - the kind of stuff they can get at a supermarket for much less. The only thing that ever sold consistently well were my decorated cookies on sticks, because the kids loved them.

Anyway, first thing is to find out what your local health guidelines are. Don't even think about selling to the public in a market unless you can do so legally.

YummyChoo Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 6

Ah right thanks for the tip, I wasnt sure about it.. how do u sell your cakes at the moment then? Do you find selling through a website, might be a better way to go about it? I was thinking the posh London markets are more expensive but market towards certain people who want to spend that lil extra on something special and decorated nicely. Im not sure where to start, whether setting up a site and doing it that way or through word of mouth would be a better beginning than a stall.... hmmm

agroeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agroeve Posted 13 May 2009 , 10:54am
post #6 of 6

hiya, i left a message on your any brits post but didnt mention i run my own business from home. if i can answer any questions for you i will be pleased to help. i only started a year ago and like you baked for friends and family before becoming legit. i am in wales so the rules may be slightly different than in london and i suppose it depends on what type of business you want. celebration cakes or teatime cakes. pm me if you like.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%