Please Help! With My Dd's Graduation Cake

Decorating By batter_up Updated 12 May 2009 , 3:10pm by batter_up

batter_up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
batter_up Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 3

Hi, new here and new to baking cakes from scratch but I really want to make this special cake for my daughter.
It is a pink champagne cake and it is for her high school graduation THIS SUNDAY MAY 17th. I have found a recipe that I think look really good but I don't have any time for mistakes. I have several questions that I hope some of you experienced cake bakers will be so kind as to help me with.

First, here are the recipes along with my questions:

PINK CHAMPAGNE CAKE W/BAVARIAN CREME

1 Cup egg white (7-8 eggs)
I assume they mean large eggs

2 1/4 Cups cake flour
1 1/2 Cups sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 Cup salad oil
5 egg yolks

1/2 Cup Water
I assume I could substitute pink champagne here. I read somewhere to let it go flat--is this necessary?

1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp coconut extract
1/2 tsp vanilla

MORE QUESTIONS FOR THE ABOVE CAKE:

I want enough batter to fill 2 10" round pans. This recipe makes 2 8" pans, so how much more batter should I make?

How deep do I fill the pans with batter?

Should I refrigerate the cake after it cools until I am ready to ice it?
If so, should I cover it with anything?
And in this case, is it okay to make the cake a day in advance and ice it the morning of the event?

FROSTING FOR THE ABOVE CAKE:
1 3 1/2 oz package vanilla instant pudding mix
1 Cup half-in-half
1 Cup Whipping Cream
3 TBSP pink champagne
1 tsp clear vanilla

BAVARIAN CREAM FILLING FOR THE ABOVE CAKE:
1 1/3 oz envelope unflavored gelatin
1 pinch salt
6 TBSP granulated sugar
2 eggs separated
1 1/4 Cups milk
1 Cup heavy cream

3 QUESTIONS HERE:
Should I use whole milk?
Is "heavy cream" different than "whipping cream"?
The recipe says to split the cake into 4 layers and spread the champagne icing between them all. It says the bavarian cream is optional but I want to use it. WHERE do I put it? On top of the layers of icing or instead of the layers of icing-it doesn't say!

Okay, if you have stuck with me this far THANK YOU! I am so grateful!
Next, I found this other recipe for Creamy Champagne Frosting that I was thinking might be better than the frosting included with the above recipe. My only concern is that it calls for butter and I don't want the yellow in the butter to off-color the delicate pink shade I am looking for. It will probably turn it into an icky shade of pink and I want pure soft true pink. Would it be okay to use shortening instead???????

CREAMY CHAMPAGNE FROSTING:
1 Cup softened butter
4 Cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 Cup milk
1/4 Cup pink champagne
red or pink food coloring to desired shade
1 tsp vanilla
3-4 drops champagne extract
WHERE do I get this? OR can I just use MORE champagne?
Additional 5 Cups of powdered sugar used to reach desired spreading consistency

What are your opinions on which frosting to use?
I was thinking that it would be pretty to put shaved white chocolate curls on the top of the cake along with some white chocolate dipped strawberries hollowed out and filled with the Bavarian cream...maybe a few pink sprinkles on top of those. What do you think experts?

Thank you all sooooooooo very much. I have a wonderful sweet daughter who will really appreciate this so I want to do my very best for her. I am hoping with all your help this yummy cake will be the highlight of her party food.

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 3

1 Cup egg white (7-8 eggs)
I assume they mean large eggs
Yes, usually in baking lg eggs are used.

......1/2 Cup Water
I assume I could substitute pink champagne here. I read somewhere to let it go flat--is this necessary?
I never let my champagne go flaticon_smile.gif I don't think it matters.

MORE QUESTIONS FOR THE ABOVE CAKE:

...want enough batter to fill 2 10" round pans....recipe makes 2 8" pans, so how much more batter should I make? How deep do I fill the pans with batter?
Probably one more recipe. Fill each pan 2/3rd full (about 1 1/4" deep)

Should I refrigerate the cake after it cools until I am ready to ice it?
If so, should I cover it with anything?
And in this case, is it okay to make the cake a day in advance and ice it the morning of the event?
No need to frig cake. It can be left at room temp overnight. Definitely wrap it well in plastic wrap (w/o it being so tight it deforms the cake).

.......3 QUESTIONS HERE:...........Should I use whole milk?
Would taste bettericon_smile.gif

Is "heavy cream" different than "whipping cream"?
There used to be a difference but I don't think it is any more.

The recipe says to split the cake into 4 layers ....... spread champagne icing between them all....bavarian cream is optional...want to use it. WHERE do I put it? On top of the layers of icing or instead of the layers of icing...
Not on top but instead of the icing.

...stuck with me this far THANK YOU!........ found this other recipe..... only concern is that it calls for butte...don't want the yellow ... to off- color...delicate pink shade I am looking for.... Would it be okay to use shortening instead???????
Yes use Crisco OR 1/2 butter and 1/2 Crisco.

CREAMY CHAMPAGNE FROSTING:
.........3-4 drops champagne extract........WHERE do I get this? OR can I just use MORE champagne?
If you have a Hobby Lobby store nearby they sell a champagne candy flavoring - some cake supply shops too. This recipe already has a lot! of liquid in it - don't add more or sub champagne for it. Still it will be subtle w/o the flavoring.

What are your opinions on which frosting to use?
I'd say the 2nd one "Creamy Frosting" is better

I was thinking that it would be pretty to put shaved white chocolate curls on the top of the cake along with some white chocolate dipped strawberries hollowed out and filled with the Bavarian cream...maybe a few pink sprinkles on top of those. What do you think experts?

Sounds great except my experience w/berries are once pierced or bruised (in any way) they will leak their juice icon_sad.gif If you do try filling them - just cut - don't hollow them and make sure they stand upright. It might work.

batter_up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
batter_up Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you very much kakeladi! I appreciate you taking the time to answer all of my questions.

I may try to make some of the strawberries in advance just to see what happens. I was hoping that with the chocolate dipping that the berry liquid wouldn't be able to seep through...but you are definitely right about that.

I think I will make the 2nd frosting. I will check Hobby Lobby for the extract. If not there is a confectioner's shop a short distance away that I could go to.

What I would really like to do is make the whole cake a day in advance, icing and all so that all I have to do is whip it out of the fridge and place the berries on it. Can I do this? Will it be okay if I don't cover it? I just have so much to prepare that it would be so helpful to get the "big daddy" out of the way! lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%