How Do I Do The Center Dowel In A Tiered Cake

Decorating By kyoung24 Updated 12 May 2009 , 2:49pm by handymama

kyoung24 Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 9

I have a question about the center dowel in a tiered cake. How do you get it all the way down through the cardboard under each tier? Do you make a hole in your cardboard ahead of time? Thanks for the help!

8 replies
ninatat Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 9

Hi Edna on u-tube shows you how to place all the dowels on a cake

jlynnw Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:02pm
post #3 of 9

I have an electric pencil sharpener (Sam's cheapest) that I use for only dowels. I sharpen a dowel to a point and push/hammer thru all layers. The dowels that are already in place hold the cake up as you pierce the center dowel all the way thru.

handymama Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 9

When you dowel each tier make sure you don't put one in/near the center. Center dowel should be about 1" shorter than finished cake. Sharpen one end to a point; push into center of cake; when you hit the first cardboard give the dowel a good hard tap with a hammer--pretty scary the first time, but really it's a breeze. Continue hammering down until top of dowel nears top of cake. Take a short piece of dowel--3"-4", or whatever you have, and set it on top of center dowel. Hold in place and hammer end of short dowel as it pushes long dowel into cake. Center dowel will pierce through bottom cakeboard, then stop when it hits your countertop, table, plywood or whatever it's sitting on. Fill in hole with icing and smooth or cover with a flower, bow, etc. For whimsical cakes you may want to use two center dowels, spaced a couple of inches apart.

MBHazel Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 9

What about when you use a heat core in all the cakes? Do you still put the dowel through the center, or something different?

handymama Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 9

I don't use heating cores, but don't you put the cake plug back in? Anyway, the center dowel doesn't have to be right in the center. It can be off to one side--just be sure you plan ahead for it when placing your shorter dowels in the individual tiers.

MBHazel Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:44pm
post #7 of 9

Yes, you put the cake plug back in (although some don't) It just seemed that the dowel running through that small plug, held in place by icing wouldn't be all that secure.

kyoung24 Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 9

thank you everyone for the help! I really appreciate it!

handymama Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 9

Since the plug is nestled into cake on all sides it's fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%