How Many Dowels?

Decorating By ajjhmf Updated 12 May 2009 , 5:54pm by Loucinda

ajjhmf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajjhmf Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 7

I'm trying my second stacked cake this weekend and since my first leaned a bit, I knew I did it wrong. I couldn't find dowels the last time and used cookie sticks. Not really a good plan, I know.

I'm doing a simple 6in on an 8in for my daughter's recital. What would be the best and least expensive way to stack it?

Thanks,
Jenny

6 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 7

If I am using dowels (or bubble tea straws) I figure one dowel for each inch arround the cake is that they are supporting. So for a 6" on an 8" - I would put 6 supports in the 8" cake.

VERY IMPORTANT to make sure you get the supports in STRAIGHT. If they are slightly angled at all, the whole support structure is compromised.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 7

No dowels. Use SPS. I use it for every cake, even a 6 over an 8.

Loucinda Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with Leahs - but if you are doing the cake this weekend, I don't think there is anywhere you can order the SPS and get it in time.

The dowels/bubble tea straws will work in a pinch - but Leahs SPS is about Non fail....order those when you get the chance.

ajjhmf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajjhmf Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 7

I think your right that I don't have time to get an SPS here by Saturday, so I'll use dowels and order one for my next cake. There is a bubble tea place not far from here that I night go ask if I can buy some straws.

Thanks!

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 7

I'm going to sound stupid - but what are SPS's?

Loucinda Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 7

SPS are a cake stacking system. If you go to the HOW DO I section, there is a post there by leahs on how to use them and where to get them. They are kind of like the wilton plates and pillars, but nicer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%