Please Help With Wording

Business By karateka Updated 12 May 2009 , 4:56pm by ccr03

karateka Posted 12 May 2009 , 11:05am
post #1 of 7

This is the email that was waiting this morning for me.

I just Had my Cake person cancel on me last minute to go on vacation. My wedding is on July 11, 2009 and I realize I am running out of time. I have about 400 guests and have already blown my budget out of the water so price is also an issue. I am interested in having an artificial cake with just a partial edible part for the cake cutting. I have someone who is going to make the cake to serve to our guests. My wedding is very untraditional and I am not very picky and open to any suggestions or ideas

So, my questions for you are first- do you have availability on this date? Do you even make fake cakes? Could you give me pricing and information on this inquiry? Time is of the essence so I would like to book someone and put a down payment down asap so I can check this wedding detail off my list.

Thanks for your time,

Now....I don't mind making a dummy and I am available that day, but don't want to make a dummy so that somebody else can make cakes to serve. I'm not very good at wording stuff so I don't tick them do I politely say that without sounding snobby?

6 replies
Deb_ Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 7

Well if you really don't want to just supply the dummy you could either tell her that you're booked that day or let her know that you don't provide *just the dummy* for any event.

Dear ______

Thank you for your inquiry. I would be happy to provide you with both of your needs i.e. *dummy cake* and *kitchen cakes*. However, I don't provide just *dummy cakes*.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you.

I don't think you need to explain your reason for not providing just the dummy, I'd just keep it short. I guess you could include a *ballpark* figure for the dummy and sheets, but it sounds like she's serving *big box* cake to keep her costs down.

Deb_ Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 7

I just remembered I wanted to also add that........Why would someone who is trying to *keep her costs down* invite 400 people to the wedding? icon_rolleyes.gif

Sounds like a *fundraiser* instead of a wedding celebration icon_razz.gif

OhMyGanache Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 7

I would explain to her how it's actually more expensive to get a custom dummy cake AND sheet cakes, than to get a real cake... and give her a couple of quotes (perhaps for a tiered cake to serve all 450 quests and then another for a tiered cake for 200 and the rest sheet cakes - give her a couple of options).

cakesbycathy Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 7

Send dkelly's response. If she contacts you again, you can tell her, "These are my prices. I understand if I am not in your budget."

karateka Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks! I'm not so good at this, so I appreciate the help.

ccr03 Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 7

yup dkelly hit it right on the money. I would also include, however a quote for the dummy & kitchen cake option - in case that is something she wants to persue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%