I'm A Lemon Curd Failure! I Need A Decent Recipe, Please!

Baking By Ruth0209 Updated 14 May 2009 , 5:48am by CakeandDazzle

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:06am
post #1 of 10

I am so frustrated. I've made a couple of lemon curd recipes, and both failed. One turned into lemon scrambled eggs because I added the egg too fast to the hot mixture, so okay, that was just dumbness on my part. The second one had promise, but ultimately would not set up no matter what I did to it. Dang it.

If anyone has a decent recipe, I'd love to have it. Thanks in advance!!

9 replies
eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 10

I think Rose Levy Beranbaum's directions are really good:

RLBs Lemon Curd

4 large egg yolks (74 grams)
½ C + 2 T sugar (125 grams)
3 fluid oz lemon juice, freshly squeezed (94 grams)
4 T unsalted butter, softened (57 grams)
Pinch of salt
2 t lemon zest

In a heavy saucepan beat the yolks and sugar until well blended. Stir in the remaining ingredients except the zest. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and resembling a thin hollandaise sauce, which thickly coats a wooden spoon but is still liquid enough to pour. The mixture will change from translucent to opaque and begin to take on a yellow color on the back of a wooden spoon. It must not be allowed to boil or it will curdle. Whenever steam appears, remove briefly from heat, stirring constantly, to keep from boiling. When the curd has thickened, pour at once into a strainer. Press with the back of a spoon until only coarse residue remains. Discard the residue. Stir in the lemon zest and cool. Pour into an airtight container. The curd will continue to thicken while resting and chilling.
*if you are working with an accurate thermometer, the temperature of the thickened curd will be 196F.
Store: 3 weeks refrigerated

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 10

I also use the Rose Levy Berenbaum recipe. What recip did you use?

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 10

Sounds like a great recipe.

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 10

One of my contacts on flickr has a series of photos illustrating how to make Lemon Curd. They are very informative. And she has her recipe on there too. I hope this helps!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/consumedbycake/sets/72157617378997320/

Ruth0209 Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks everyone! I will try that recipe. I have to get it worked out for my daughter's wedding cake.

I used the Zesty Lemon Curd recipe here. I think it had way too much butter in it, and the whole eggs made it harder to keep it from scrambling.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 10

Alton Brown has one on the Food Network's site that is fabulous. I had lemon curd at a 4 star resort in the Caribbean and I came home determined to recreate it. I started with Alton's recipe and is was perfect...no adjustments needed.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:51am
post #8 of 10

Lemon curds,in fact all curds that I know of, use only egg yolks. Thats how they thicken. Egg whites would change that chemical reaction to the acid in the lemons. If they were able to do it, thats great, but maybe you should try a yolk only recipe.

Ruth0209 Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:17am
post #9 of 10

Eatdessert1st, the Rose Levy Beranbaum recipe is perfect! Thanks so much. I now have renewed confidence in my curd making abilities!! I just have to remember to be patient and not try to bring it to a boil in 3 minutes flat. I always have liked the oven better than the stove top!!

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:48am
post #10 of 10

I use Ina Gardens from her lemon merigue tart... which is to die for!

Lemon Filling:

1/4-pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1 1/2 cups sugar

4 extra-large eggs

3 extra-large egg yolks (save the whites for the meringue)

1/4 cup finely grated lemon zest (6 to 8 lemons)

1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for 1 minute. On low speed, add the eggs and egg yolks one at a time, and then add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt. Don't worry; it will look curdled.

Pour the mixture into a small saucepan and cook over medium-low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until thick, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Whisk briskly when it starts to thicken and cook over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Don't allow it to boil! It will be 175 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer. Pour into a bowl and cool to room temperature.

Yield: 3 cups

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%