Anyone Make The Martha Stewart Daisy Cake?

Decorating By sugar-2 Updated 19 Jul 2009 , 6:59pm by ziggytarheel

sugar-2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar-2 Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:13am
post #1 of 39

Would love any advice from anyone who has made or attempted to make the daisy covered cake by Martha Stewart.....have an order at the end of the month and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

38 replies
i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:59am
post #2 of 39

She has a couple of daisy cakes - can you add a picture or a link to show which one you mean?

Bec

sugar-2 Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 39

can't figure out how to post a link of the picture...but it's a 3 tier yellow fondant with small white daisies cascading from the top tier...with tons of daisies!

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 39

OOps sorry it triple posted on me

dutchy1971 Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 39

icon_redface.gif

dutchy1971 Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 39

Is this the one?

Image[/img]

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar-2 Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 39

Yes that's the one....thanks for posting a picture of it....just wondering if anyone has made it and have any advice for me, do the daisies look like gumpaste to you??

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:01pm
post #9 of 39

The website has a description as sugarpaste, and a few comments about them being done in gum paste and very simple.

Good Luck icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:41pm
post #10 of 39

I love that cake! It's so pretty! It's in my Martha Stewart wedding cake book and I love to look at it!

m420chelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m420chelle Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 39

We made it for someone at the bakery I worked at..the one we did was 5 tiers and we made close to 600 gumpaste daisies. They are easy to make but you have to make A LOT! Good luck with the cake!

lauritasolorzano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauritasolorzano Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:09pm
post #12 of 39

I have made that cake before twice. Make the flowers out of gumpaste a week before at least so that you are not tired on the delivery day. I did not put the flowers before delivering since I did not know how the road was going to be. The last time I did it was a four tier cake and I and my mom spent 1 hour putting on daisies. And star at the top so if you run out of daisies is not that noticeable.

Laura

sugar-2 Posted 20 May 2009 , 11:38pm
post #13 of 39

to those that have made this cake before, what sizes did you make....i have to make a 2 tier that serves about 25 people....should i go with 10" & 6"??? Thanks

m420chelle Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:12am
post #14 of 39

When we made it 5 tiers, only the top two tiers were real...rest were dummies and I would guess that we did 6", 10", 14", 18" & 22" but they had a dessert bar as well and it was not for very many guests. I think the sizes you are considering sound good, though!

bekahzzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekahzzz Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:38pm
post #15 of 39

I made one while in school. I didn't get quite as many daisies because I ran out of time. Its actually a really simple cake, just time consuming to cut out all the daisies and attach them...but it looks great afterwards.

m420chelle Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:19pm
post #16 of 39

Here's a picture of the cake we did at the bakery- like I mentioned, we made over 500 daisies for it.
LL

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:27pm
post #17 of 39

all cake pictures are beautiful.. any cake with daisies on it.. is beautiful.. love daisies rosemary watson had a beatiful one in american cake decorating some years back.. so lovely!!!

KatesCakesBC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatesCakesBC Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:37pm
post #18 of 39

I've yet to tackle using gumpaste or sugar paste, but am doing a daisy cake for my Sister's Baby Shower in a few weeks... do you use gumpaste just like fondant... roll it out and use a cookie cutter to cut out all the flowers? Could this be done with fondant?
Thanks,
K

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:46pm
post #19 of 39

I'm actually take a break from making gumpaste gerber daisies right now. Been working for about 2 hours. Very easy. yes, just roll out your gumpaste and cut. I have found if I don't get it thin, the daisies stick to my cutter. The thinner the better, especially since you will probably want to double stack your daisies cuts to make them look real. I'm actually using gumpaste recipe by Nicholas Lodge (first time to make). It turned out a little too stiff, so I mixed it 50/50 with fondant. Drying them in an egg carton with foil crinkle up inside. make sure you post your photo. I love daisy cakes!

cata29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cata29 Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:20pm
post #20 of 39

This cake is simple yet elegant, have to make one just for fun! icon_biggrin.gif

p.s.
post a pic. when you make your cake please

KatesCakesBC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatesCakesBC Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:38pm
post #21 of 39

Love the idea of drying them in an egg carton to get the "cupped" look. Anyone have any secrets for making daisies/flowers with curled up/cupped petals?

sugar-2 Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:09am
post #22 of 39

wow, cakes look great...thanks for sharing...

bekahzzz-are your daisies made of gumpaste ahead of time..love how they curl up instead of being flat...what's your technique? thanks

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:11am
post #23 of 39

I must confess, I've been wanting to make a daisy cake for many many years now -- and y'all have me very inspired to do so! icon_biggrin.gif

timhenk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
timhenk Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:12am
post #24 of 39

Here's a pic of the one I did. As you can see, I made a few other different flowers as well. My advice is to make many more flowers than you think you need. I made over 200 for this 3 tier cake, with 4, 6, 8 inch tiers (if I remember correctly!)

http://pastryschool.blogspot.com Scroll down toward the bottom of the page to see the daisy cake pic...

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 22 May 2009 , 8:00am
post #25 of 39

Royal icing daises are quick and easy to make. I have a yellow daisy cake in my gallery. And it is possible to make different sizes with a smaller size rose petal tip.

If you want to curl up the tip of a gumpaste daisy, use your ball tool and draw/press a line up from the center of the daisy to the tip of each petal. Practice on one until you get the right pressure. Too hard of a press/draw will cause it to curl up tighter.

bekahzzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekahzzz Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:14pm
post #26 of 39

I made my flowers with gumpaste. They are probably different thickenesses as I was kinda in a hurry when I was making them. You can also crinkle aluminum foil and let flowers dry with the different motion. Makes them seem a little more real.

sugar-2 Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:35pm
post #27 of 39

So here is my daisy cake, with over 120 daisies....issues with sagging fonant, live and learn, thanks to all for your advice and expertise, much appreciated! icon_smile.gif
LL

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:38pm
post #28 of 39

Wow hose -- that's a gorgeous cake!!! Very nice! icon_biggrin.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:04pm
post #29 of 39

that is so lovely!

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:14pm
post #30 of 39

It came out so pretty!!! I love that you made some big and small. Too cute!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%