Wilton Castle Kit Retaining Water???

Decorating By January202 Updated 13 May 2009 , 2:26am by January202

January202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
January202 Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:02am
post #1 of 6

I washed the plastic pieces to my Wilton Castle Kit Saturday...today is Monday and after drying out for 2 1/2 days, some of the pieces still have water in them...what's that all about? Anyone else have this issue? Any recommendations for getting the water out? (Not so sure how it got in there, but hey...) I'd hate for the water to stagnate in there and then leak out should I use the kit for another cake in the future. Not to mention it might get smelly...

5 replies
angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:09am
post #2 of 6

Hi, I got super frustrated and cut the bottom of my towers for that. between cleaning and the towers not staying up I had DH power up the jig saw and take'em off!

January202 Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 6

Rather extreme, but I think I like it...so how do you get them to stand up now that they have no bottoms?

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 6

Hi again, my DH and I put our heads together and came up with this solution

I had him cut just the very bottom off so the ends of the tower do sink into fondant or fresh gumpaste. I also used gumpaste as 'cement' and a couple of days ahed of time I put dowels in with the bottom end pointed and then it sinks in the cakeboard. I get my dowels from the local hardware store so I or my DH can cut them to specs. When I first tackled tier cakes my DH remided me after a few practice failures and an embarrsment at a family picnic (whipped cream, 95 degrees, it melted and then avalanched) that I should think of it like a building. I often consult him to architect my big cakes we both have fun. I thought about hot glueing the dowels to the towers but was afraid the glue would yellow and be difficult to clean.

the only DH doesn't like about cakeing? seeing all our hard work demolished at first, but then his inner 10yr old comes out to play. icon_wink.gif

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 6

ok I just really like the name of this thread. Next time I have my time-of-the-month, can I just tell people that I "feel like a Wilton Castle Kit"? icon_lol.gif

January202 Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:26am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriana

ok I just really like the name of this thread. Next time I have my time-of-the-month, can I just tell people that I "feel like a Wilton Castle Kit"? icon_lol.gif

HA HA HA HA!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%