First Time Using L U S T E R D U S T

Decorating By abra526 Updated 12 May 2009 , 5:18pm by chanielisalevy

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 11 May 2009 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 4

Tomorrow I'm going to start working on a bud light bottle. I got some silver L u s t e r D u s t to use on the label. I'm planning on making the lable from gumpaste and mixing the dust with vodka to paint it on. Does anyone have any tips or advice for using this stuff for the 1st time? TIA!

3 replies
chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 11 May 2009 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 4

The best advice is to use a clean eye dropper to srop the lemon extract or spirit one drop at a time into the cap of the luster dust with a bit of the dust in there. Mix it with the brush as if in a paint palette and PRACTICE on a spare piece of fondant to make sure the consistency is right. It should be on the thick side and not too watery. If it is, add a bit more dust and mix well or wait a few miniutes for the excess liquid to evaporate. It is quite easy and I use it ALL THE TIME! Good luck

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:03am
post #3 of 4

I found that when I use silver luster dust it helps to tint the fondant or gumpaste a light gray. Also it helps if you have a good brush. Good Luck

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 4

Jaimelt76 is right, I forgot to say that part. When I use silver I like to paint it onto gray because you don't get spots that appear unpainted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%