Dragees In California

Decorating By lilboo529 Updated 12 May 2009 , 9:35pm by Minstrelmiss

lilboo529 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilboo529 Posted 11 May 2009 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 14

I was wondering if anyone knows why dragees are against californias regulations? I love the way they look on cakes but am not able to purchase them just wanted to see if anyone had a clue thanks birthday.gif

13 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 11 May 2009 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 14

the gold and silver are not fda approved to eat, and maybe CA has stricter laws about selling non FDA approved stuff so that is why they won't ship to CA

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 11 May 2009 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 14

ok, so some lawyers are jerks, that is why I don't practice anymore but make cakes instead

lilboo529 Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks you for answering my post....I can't belive that lawyer pretty soon california is going to have nothing with stupid regulations like this. icon_twisted.gif

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 14

I contacted someone at the FDA and received the following reply. Maybe I need to find another dept to ask, but atleast I have this name to start with.

Ms. Sorensen, I do not have a list of states where it is illegal to sell dragees, but what I can tell you is that decorative items such as gold and silver balls and almonds (dragees) that are used on cakes are acceptable by FDA as long as the label on these products indicate that they are not to be eaten. Nothing in the dragee should migrate to the food that would cause the food to become adulterated.

Sincerely,

Andrew Zajac
Director,
Division of Petition Review
Office of Food Additive Safety
FDA
[email protected]

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 14

I buy dragees all the time at my local cake shops. I had no idea that they were not FDA approved

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:45pm
post #8 of 14

Hi lilboo529! I purchase my dragees at our local farmers market for $3 a container, (it's about a 1/4 lb and lasts me a LONG time!). They are available to me in silver and gold. If I wouldn't be breaking any federal laws icon_rolleyes.gif I would be willing to pick some up for you this weekend and send them out to you at cost. They look so pretty and I have yet to have a kid drop from food poisoning icon_razz.gif Just let me know, I'm happy to help.

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:58pm
post #9 of 14

I had heard that weren't legal in CA. I have seen it posted on cake supply websites they will not ship to CA. I can get them locally here in Nashville and I use them for cookies with my grandchildren at Christmas. It sounds like a lawyer that looks for an easy way to put money in his pocket.

wakeandbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakeandbake Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:12pm
post #10 of 14

i live in pasadena, texas (just outside houston) and the only place that i can find them is at a privately owed cake decorating supply store that does warn you not to eat them for the same reasons listed. i asked the woman who owns the store about it and she said, "we'll sell them to you and what you do with them is your business." i didn't buy any but i guess its nice to know i could if i wanted to.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:30pm
post #11 of 14

What a butt, I think he just wanted some money and to be put in the spot light. Sure silver isn't good for you but nor is the fast food we all eat almost religiously or the big bags of potato chips, just because they say have this serving size, do we not all of us, so we should sue just for that. Geezzzzz what a butt....

lilboo529 Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:19pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks minstrelmiss for the offer but i ended ordering some pearlized sugar pearls in white for a baby shower cake i am making in a week and a half for my sister in law. Thanks again for the offer though.

pattycakesnj Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:24pm
post #13 of 14

we(My family, etc) all ate the gold and silver dragees for years as kids and we are all still here, mostly sane

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 12 May 2009 , 9:35pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboo529

Thanks minstrelmiss for the offer but i ended ordering some pearlized sugar pearls in white for a baby shower cake i am making in a week and a half for my sister in law. Thanks again for the offer though.

No problem icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%