Darkest Color Chocolate Buttercream Crusting?

Decorating By BakeLoveMom Updated 25 May 2009 , 4:23pm by BakeLoveMom

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 11 May 2009 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 7

I have been searching for a deep dark chocolate colored buttercream that crusts so i can use my viva. I came up with a recipe that tastes good, but the color is very light brown. I tried the hershey's syrup one, but my family didn't really like that one, and it didn't crust. Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks everyone,
Sarah

6 replies
IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 11 May 2009 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 7

I've used these two:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7226-Chocolate-Buttercream-crusting.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7249-Jibbies-Chocolate-Velvet-Buttercream.html

They are both dark, but the last one (Jibbies) looks the darkest. It reminds me of dark suede. If you look at my pics the one called "chocolate roses" is Jibbies'. The one called "blue flower birthday" is the first one.

Lisa

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 11 May 2009 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 7

Just use your regular choc BC recipe and add a good squirt of Americolor chocolate brown. It never occurred to me to do that until I read it on CC!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:02pm
post #4 of 7

When I want a dark chocolate frosting, I just use the "Hersheys Special Dark Chocolate" cocoa. It really makes a nice dark deep chocolate! Just use it to taste - in place of some of the powdered sugar - that is how I do it! (I use the snow white buttercream recipe from Wilton)

You don't have to use color - this one actually is dark, and delicious too!

khkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khkakes Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:08pm
post #5 of 7

I wanted a really dark brown chocolate frosting so I made chocolate buttercream that I like and then added Wilton brown coloring until it got to the shade I wanted. Worked great and I didn't have to try new recipes.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 7

Great tips as I have given up trying to find a dark chocolate crusting BC where I can use the Viva method. Thanks - am going to try these recipes.

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 25 May 2009 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 7

Sorry guys, I have had some computer and life issues. Thanks so much for you responses, I can't wait to test them out.

Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%