Do Any Of You Do Cookie Tastings?

Baking By HeidiCrumbs Updated 13 May 2009 , 6:24pm by FromScratch

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 20

I did one a few weeks ago and thought it was really cool, but I'm wondering how popular this is and if it's something that I need to really think about, like how to do it, times, what they all get to taste etc....The bride and groom seemed really into it but I don't know if it's getting to be popular or not. Any advice? Thanks!

19 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 20

Interesting! I've never even thought about it before. I mean I see the stores that have little samples and stuff...but I've never heard of a cookie tasting.

I would love to hear more about how your cookie tasting went! It sounds exciting!

LesGateauxCheri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LesGateauxCheri Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:38am
post #3 of 20

I only do it if people ask. If someone wants a sample, I usually bring them an un-decorated cookie and I keep extras on hand in my freezer. They are always so thankful and they all order after sampling so I think it is a great idea. But I just wait till they ask.

Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:48am
post #4 of 20

Everytime I bake some icon_lol.gif

Oh you ment for customers....nevermind icon_wink.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 May 2009 , 11:17am
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idreamofcakes

LOL!! Don't we all!!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 12 May 2009 , 11:49am
post #6 of 20

Well the first time I get a free tasting in a restaurant before I order the menu when I go out I will. I mean come on, what are we talking about. I have a minimum of 10 cookies for an order. Surely they can afford that, doesn't even have to be wedding themed, a nice present for a colleague, girlfriend, mother and they all can have a taste

HeidiCrumbs Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:23am
post #7 of 20

Ursula, I was only asking because the first bride to order wedding cookies from me asked for a tasting. I'm new at this and I don't have a frame of reference as to what is the norm. As for a minimum order of 10 cookies, that would be at least $25 if not more. Basically they're spending the same amount on a cookie as some people charge per slice for cake and people do cake tastings. I'm sure people know what chocolate cake tastes like but they still do tastings, right? Maybe people want to know what key lime cookies or chocolate espresso cookies taste like, I don't know. It also wasn't just about tasting, it was desiging their cookies, four different styles, much like a cake. So I was just wondering what other cookie bakers do.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:29am
post #8 of 20

I think that anytime someone is spending over $100, and they ask for a tasting, it's a good thing. It's a huge investment for them, and particularly if it's for a wedding, you know it's going to be at least $300. So, Yes, do a tasting. but like was stated above, keep some in the freezer from each batch, and then you don't have to bake specifically for the tasting. Key lime cookies... What do you charge to mail them????

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:46am
post #9 of 20

I agree with Mommyle. If they are spending a substantial amount, I think they should get to taste what they are buying. Especially with wedding cakes. That way you know that the customer will be happy...at least with the flavor they selected. icon_smile.gif

Ursula40 Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:02am
post #10 of 20

Ok maybe I went over the top a bit, but my questions is also, do restaurants give free tastings to get in a wedding or do the couples have to pay the dinner? Had a week, where 2 new customers wanted a tasting for birthday cakes, and did not want to take no for an answer, trying to tell me, that most cakes that westeners like, are usually too sweet for the chinese taste. Mind you the orders were small, for 20-25 kids each. I have to spend more on my ingredients, as they are imported, than you do in the States, so a batch of iced cookies (I can freeze the raw dough, but not the icing) costs me plenty to make. I would love to make a minimum order of 20 cookies, that would pretty much be break even, but to do a tasting for 2-3 different flavours of fresh iced cookies would be out of the question for me. If I had an order for a flavour anyway, I suppose I could make one or two extra for a tasting, but they would have to wait, until another order came in. Hope that explains my standpoint.

HeidiCrumbs Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:04am
post #11 of 20

mommyle-I haven't tried it yet, but it's Martha Stewarts recipe for Key Lime sable cookies. It sounds amazing though. I think if you google it you should have it pop up. It's just one of the flavors that I want to offer that I don't actually have perfected yet, lol.

As for the bride that ordered the cookies, the total was over $400, so I think it's OK if I give them a few cookies to taste. Heck, I even thought of giving the groom a beer if he wanted one, lol!!!

Ursula40 Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:06am
post #12 of 20

I can only dream of an order like that

HeidiCrumbs Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:14am
post #13 of 20

Ursula, I about fell over when I got that order, lol.

I also think that tastings will be cookies that I have decorated and frosted already. Nobody can seem to tell the difference if they've been frozen or not so I'm not goint to scramble to make fresh ones for a tasting of just a few cookies.

I can see how it would be frustrating to do a sampling for a small cake like that. I will have a small retail space in my bakery so really, if someone wanted a sample I plan on having them ready for individual purchase anyway so I could always just give them one of those too. It was the design part that seemed to take the longest, that's really what it seemed to be about more than tasting.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:25pm
post #14 of 20

Ursula -

I just wanted to let you know that there are venues here in the US that offer tastings of the dinner menu. The venue has to be booked and paid before the venues will permit the tasting.

Disney is famous for tasting it's dinner menus. And there are two country clubs in my area that offer dinner tastings. The tastings at these two clubs are done during the dinner hour, in the kitchen, and are from a specific menu. They are only sample-sized portions, a bite or two for each person. I think Disney has a per person limit, depending on the package purchases, and the clubs allow only the bride and groom. Additional people are $20 per.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Ursula40 Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:36pm
post #15 of 20

I'm missing the boggle eyed smilie right now. But for 20 US dollars you could feed quite a few people in chinese rest. here, not in the expea ones, but still... A cake for 20 would cost me that in ingredients, no not quite, I pay a bit more than that in ingredients alone

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:55pm
post #16 of 20

It's a cookie. They can buy a dozen of them. icon_cool.gif

HeidiCrumbs Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:08pm
post #17 of 20

I guess I meant "tasting" as more of a sit down with the b&g to design the cookies they want and eat a few in the process. That's all. I am aware that someone can buy one cookie out of my display case to see what it tastes like, but for someone spending $400 on many different designs of cookies, I was just wondering if anyone offered a specific time where they would come in and we would talk about what they wanted. Maybe "tasting" was the wrong word choice but I don't know what else to call it.

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:15pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idreamofcakes

lol..me too!! Quality control, right?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:19pm
post #19 of 20

I think you are thinking of more of a consult than a tasting. If I were to do a cookie order for $400 I'd offer them a sample too, but it would be limited to what I had on hand... no special requests unless they buy them. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:24pm
post #20 of 20

To add on...

You could set a minimum... like orders of 75-100 (whatever number you like) cookies include a sampling plate of cookies we have on hand for the day. If you require a sampling for an order of (whatever your set number is) or less you may order a sampler for $x.xx. Something like that. Someone ordering a dozen cookies doesn't need a sample... they are buying their sample with their order, but someone dropping bigger bux is entitled to more amenities... icon_wink.gif

(edited to fix typos and clarify something)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%