Help, I Need To Stack A 4 Tiered Cake.

Decorating By juleeab Updated 28 May 2009 , 3:14pm by Yuni

juleeab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleeab Posted 11 May 2009 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 29

My friend and I are doing our first wedding cake and its 4 tiers with 3 layers each. I am so afraid the bottem tier will sink under the weight of the top 3 layers. We plan to use WASC for the cake and regular buttercream for filling and icing. It will also be covered with fondant. Normally, we use cardboard between each tier and wooden dowels but I am afraid the cardboard will not hold up for that many layers. We have never done a cake this big. I will be able to assemble the cake on-site.

28 replies
lisa5573 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa5573 Posted 11 May 2009 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 29

I normally use the cardboard and wooden dowels, but today I'm going to order the SPS system. I don't know a whole lot about it, but it looks great! You can search for it and there are instructions. Good luck

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 29

The supports should support the cake.. meaning each cake will rest on the supports, causing no stress on the bottom tier. The cardboards will be fine .. just make sure you put a long wooden dowel through the cake to ensure that it doesn't move.

I prefer bubble tea straws over wooden dowels. They are much easier to cut and in my opinion, sturdier if you think of the physics of it. A hallow bubble tea straw is less likely to move when submerged w/ cake than a wooden dowel is that has nothing holding it in the specific spot.

DancingCakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DancingCakes2008 Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 29

I too use the cardboards and wooden dowels. If you are concerned about the larger stacked tiers put 2 boards underneath, just check the way the grooves are going and make sure they are going in different directions. This will help with the cake and also keep it chilled as much as possible.

I ALWAYS refridgerate my fondant cakes without ANY problems.

Hope this helps

juleeab Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 29

Thanks to both of you for the reply. You don't know what this means to me. Where would I find these bubble tea straws?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 29

Just glue two layers of cardboard together. it's done all the time icon_smile.gif

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 29

I have done alot of large cakes and I always use foam board under the cake and sps for the supports. Ever since I started using sps, I dont worry about doing large cakes. Good Luck!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 29

You should be fine, I use cardboards under the cakes, covered in wax paper on both sides..
Here is a video..

Edna icon_smile.gif

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 29

So what are bubble tea straws and where do u get them have a 2 or maybe three tier cake for first of june and a 1 1/2 hour car ride, i cant afford sps right now. Need something i can transport easily by myself. Ty

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 29

There is a lot of places that have the bubble straws. You can find them in Ebay too.
Edna icon_smile.gif

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:14pm
post #11 of 29

You can find them on ebay.. i'd get you a link but it's blocked at work. They are pretty cheap. For about 10 bucks (including shipping!), you can get about 100. They are kinda like slurpee/milkshake straws but a bit wider and super easy to cut!

lisa5573 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa5573 Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:21pm
post #12 of 29

You can also get bubble straws at most asian grocery stores.

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:22pm
post #13 of 29

I'm not sure where you live but if there's an Asian food market near you they may have them also.

tirechic Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:26pm
post #14 of 29

Oh ok, so they are just bigger in width than regular straws? Or did i get that wrong, still very green here. But am soaking up like a sponge, she cant decide right now if she wants 2 or 3 tiers. Its for a birthday-graduation party, pink and black like my mehndi cake. If its one tier i can travel with that easy but it gets hot here in Tx. I was worried about it staying "up" and "straight" lol. still working out all the kinks. but im liking the straw thing a lot. Ty for all your info.

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:54pm
post #16 of 29

would a party store or micheals or other craft store have them? Ty in advance for putting up with me.

kyoung24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyoung24 Posted 11 May 2009 , 9:26pm
post #17 of 29

My husband just got me some at the asian grocery and they were $1.50 for a package of 50. You should check your market.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 11 May 2009 , 9:41pm
post #18 of 29

No michael's / party stores do not carry them to the best of my knowlege. you might want to check your local mall to see if they have a coffee shop/milk shake place that sells bubble tea. i bet they'd give you a few straws to get you through this cake. I know the mall near me sells it at the coffee shop but I order them on Ebay. i just picked up 500 for $30 with shipping and each straw is 12 inches so I can get 2 dowels out of each straw.

tirechic Posted 11 May 2009 , 11:12pm
post #19 of 29

Ok, i have never heard of bubble tea. I will check the asian markets that are about a half hour away, or does someone know of a bubble tea in arlington or dallas? Thanks for the help.

kyoung24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyoung24 Posted 12 May 2009 , 11:44am
post #20 of 29

If you go to your "Chinatown" you will find little stores/restaurants that sell Bubble Tea. I don't know if the Dallas area has a "chinatown" like you have in Chicago/NY, but it's worth a try

radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 12 May 2009 , 11:58am
post #21 of 29

I have a question about the foam board that some use. I have seen it at Michaels and Hobby Lobby and was wondering if it needs to be covered with paper or are they food safe? Sorry about the hijacked thread!

chocolatecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatecake Posted 12 May 2009 , 11:59am
post #22 of 29

I love the stability of the SPS system- but find the individual "legs" to be very wide.
Do any of you SPS users subtract serving #s because the cake you loose from inserting the wide "legs" - How much do you subtract?

If you use the bubble straws how many do you use? Just the 4 or more?

juleeab Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:36pm
post #23 of 29
Quote:

Thanks so much! I just purchased these. thumbs_up.gif

juleeab Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:47pm
post #24 of 29

So here is my plan after reviewing all the post. icon_lol.gif Use boba straws as support (I like this idea because they are easier to cut), glue two cardboard pieces together and cover each side with wax paper for each tier, and put long wooden dowel down all 4 layers for extra support. Thanks everyone for helping me get a plan. thumbs_up.gif

monkeydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeydust Posted 25 May 2009 , 6:33pm
post #25 of 29

I haven't tried the tea straws yet but its got to be fighting with cutting the dowels to the perfect length!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:29pm
post #26 of 29

SPS fo a three tier cake should be $10 or less. There's a pot upthread commenting on the expensive of the SPS system. Reallyit's very cheap and you just add the cost onto the price of the cake.

No I don't deduct servings for the size of the SPS legs. Frankly, each tier only has four legs in it and that's frequently about half the number of dowels you'd use, so the cake displaced should be about the same. Srsly, this is soooo not an issue.

And to the original poster, if you want a straight cake that you can transport already assembled, then buy SPS. Cheap. Easy. Sturdy. No worries.

chocolatecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatecake Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:53am
post #27 of 29

Thank you leahs-

where do you purchase SPS? ( i'm trying to order from a particular midwest supllier and having a bit of a problem)

Yuni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yuni Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:05pm
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirechic

So what are bubble tea straws and where do u get them have a 2 or maybe three tier cake for first of june and a 1 1/2 hour car ride, i cant afford sps right now. Need something i can transport easily by myself. Ty

sorry, just to make sure that you do mean to move them cakes separately , not all stacked up for that 1 1/2 hour car ride, right?

Yuni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yuni Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:14pm
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by radtech

I have a question about the foam board that some use. I have seen it at Michaels and Hobby Lobby and was wondering if it needs to be covered with paper or are they food safe? Sorry about the hijacked thread!

I always cover them with foil, it is very steady, last cake I transfer on foam was for 98 party cake servings, you can cut them to any size n shape, great presentation board! I always wait for Michaels's sell, it's normally $2.99 per, but once a while Michaels sell them for $0.99 per~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%