Need Help With Sylvia W.'s Yellow Cake

Decorating By mija10417 Updated 12 May 2009 , 1:03am by -K8memphis

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 8

First off, I absolutely love this cake and have made it several times. My oven is a little off and once in awhile I've found parts of the cake to be a little underdone but nothing like this weekend!

I've always used the recipe off the internet and a couple of weeks ago I was looking at her book in B&N and noticed the recipe was different. There was a cup of milk in the recipe in the book but not on the internet. So I decided to use the recipe from the book. Followed the directions, the cake tester came out clean, the top of the cake bounced back and so I took it out of the oven. When I went to go cut it the next day, the WHOLE cake was gummy...not one part inside was cooked!

Has anyone used the recipe in the book? I'm wondering if it was the cup of milk being too much liquid. And I can't figure out for the life of me how the cake tester came out clean if it wasn't cooked.

Any insight on this would be so appreciated!

7 replies
mija10417 Posted 11 May 2009 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 8

bumping myself....

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 11 May 2009 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 8

I have not made that cake so I can't offer any insight about the cake itself. But I have experienced the same as you, clean tester and totally under baked cake. My theory is that if it is really very under baked the batter is still runny so it does not stick, or get's wiped off when pulled out through the cooked top layer. It is totally annoying when it happens. I now make sure the cake is starting to pull away from the sides of the pan as well as passing the other tests, before I take it out.

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 11 May 2009 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 8

which book did you get the recipe from?? the book i use doesnt call for milk but it calls for sour cream.

mija10417 Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiawanna02

which book did you get the recipe from?? the book i use doesnt call for milk but it calls for sour cream.

Can't remember the name but it's her latest book. I believe it just came out late last year or early this year.

BakingGirl - I can't remember if it was pulling away from the pan...I'll have to try it again and watch for that.

Thanks all for replying!

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 11 May 2009 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 8

is this the recipe:
2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 stick butter
2 c sugar
4 lg egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla
1 c sour cream
4 lr egg whites

mija10417 Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:15am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiawanna02

is this the recipe:
2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 stick butter
2 c sugar
4 lg egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla
1 c sour cream
4 lr egg whites

That's the one I normally used off the internet. The one I used this weekend was from her book and had all of the ingredients above, plus a cup of milk.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:03am
post #8 of 8

Wow--I love that cake to pieces and it works so well without the milk. I copied it wrong and I use 2.5 cups of cake flour--but never used the milk just the sour cream. And you are probably the only person on the internet to not know this, I think I type this at least once a week--but I use two whole eggs and two egg yolks and I don't beat them separate--just add them to the creamed sugar and buttah.

86 the milk, CakeBuddy

Hey you should write to Sylvia and ask her what gives? I mean in a nice way. Would be cool to hear from her. Tell her how much we all love her recipe (without the milk that is)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%