Cover Cardboard Cakeboards?

Decorating By Jan14grands Updated 13 May 2009 , 4:44pm by __Jamie__

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 20

Just wondering how many of you cover the cardboard cakeboards under each tier and what do you use? Thanks! icon_smile.gif

19 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 May 2009 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 20

If it's a stacked cake and/or the cardboards are not visible, I do not wrap them.

Usually the only ones I wrap would be the ones under the bottom tier, beause they show. I use the cake foil.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 May 2009 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 20

I do not cover mine at all.

suzannette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzannette Posted 11 May 2009 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 20

freezer paper...with the wax side out

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 May 2009 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 20

No I don't cover them at all... I don't see the point.

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 11 May 2009 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 20

I always cover my boards with fancy foil because I thought they might get too soggy and become too weak to support the upper tier(s). But I am an amatuer and now that I see these experts say they never do, I might not as well. Thanks for saving me some time!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 May 2009 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefairy03

I always cover my boards with fancy foil because I thought they might get too soggy and become too weak to support the upper tier(s).

I see this idea/fear a lot and it's just not valid. I stay and cut most of my cakes, so I see the insides of the cakes firsthand.

Cake cardboards are nice and sturdy. They are not made of rice paper. I ice/decorate on Thursday for a Sat wedding, so the cakes are on those boards for 2-3 days. They are not even CLOSE to being "soggy". If it wasn't a health code violation thing, you could almost wipe them off and use them again! thumbs_up.gif

Now if you're using non-cake-cardboards (and I hope you're not), I can't vouch for the integrity of a UPS box that's been cut up. But cake cardboards are fine.

This is a great example of why I encourage all cakers to cut at least 2 or 3 of their wedding cakes a year. A caker should have this experience to be able to assure a bride how it's constructed and what happens after the photo is taken. thumbs_up.gif

Jan14grands Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:00am
post #8 of 20

That's good to know - I haven't been covering mine. I was also wondering if not covering them, the cardboard might draw moisture from the cakes.

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:21am
post #9 of 20

I am a hobby decorator and my experience is different. I use the Wilton boards and I find that if the cake sits for any length of time that indeed the board absorbs moisture from the cake. I have had one board become soggy. The cake had sat out for a few days and as I was trying to move the remnants to the garbage, the board buckled and the cake fell in the floor. Usually a cake doesn't last that long but this was a fondant cake with that icky Wilton fondant. On the flipside I started covering with foil due to this and find this most annoying. Often little bits of foil end up on the slice of cake. So my inclination is to leave the boards uncovered.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:31am
post #10 of 20

I cover all my boards for the reason Redlotusninjagrl stated! I find that if you cut it carefully the foil won't tear too much.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:41am
post #11 of 20

I have long since stopped using cardboard circles and use foamcore covered in press and seal. Adds some serious height to your tiers if you use 1/2 too! icon_smile.gif And that stuff will not ever buckle or give out, and the press and seal doesn't come off when slicing with a knife.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:07pm
post #12 of 20

What is press and seal and where do you get it?

I also have found that the Wilton cardboard circles absorb moisture - even overnight - on a small 6 inch and I had to take it off of the circle and put it on a new one before I could stack it. I covered the new one with foil.

This press and seal might be a better option than using foil - which I hate having to take all the time to put it over the cardboard circle and make sure that it conforms and doesn't have sharp edges and stick out.

__Jamie__ Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:08pm
post #13 of 20

Glad brand Press n Seal..in the same aisle as tinfoil and plastic wrap. icon_smile.gif

Jan14grands Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:38pm
post #14 of 20

I like the press n Seal idea - I'm going to try it icon_smile.gif

Country_girrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Country_girrl Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:56pm
post #15 of 20

I use Wilton cake boards and cover them all. If the board is showing I cover them in fanci foil. If it is a tier cake, I do not cover the board because it doesn't show. If you use aluminum foil, which I see many boards covered in, it will cut and tear and you end up with pieces of it in your cake. The fanci foil however does not end up in pieces. I have also used parchment paper for a cake just for home, and it doesn't end up in pieces in your cake.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 12 May 2009 , 9:30pm
post #16 of 20

Thanks Jamie I am going to try the Press n Seal. Where I live you can not find the fanci foil - at least Michael's and Walmart don't have it. Michael's just carries the boring gold and silver by Wilton.

Where do you get your fanci foils from - internet? Any good sources?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:15am
post #17 of 20

What about cutting a plastic table cloth to size and cover the board? WOuld that work?

jayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayla Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:10am
post #18 of 20

Yes the plastic tableclothes work fine. They are cheap way to cover boards and you can use many different colors.

jayla

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:15pm
post #19 of 20

I like the press and seal idea. I'm gong to try it on my next cake!

__Jamie__ Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:44pm
post #20 of 20

Tablecloth for the very bottom board, the one that is exposed and supposed to look pretty, sore. Not for each individual tier, that's where the press and seal is used. Not meant to be seen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%