Baseball Hat Cake

Decorating By samantha22c Updated 12 May 2009 , 4:16pm by Peridot

samantha22c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samantha22c Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 7

Hi. I am wanting to make a baseball hat cake. I've seen so many wonderful pics on the website, but no one gives any details on how they made these wonderful cakes. Can someone please send me some directions on how to make one? I would love all the tips and advice that is out there. Thanks!

6 replies
Tracy79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy79 Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 7

I used half of the ball pan and then (don't quote me on this) a six inch round pan. Whatever pan is the same size as the ball pan. I stacked the half ball on top of the round cake and covered in mmf. Then I used mmf for the bill of the hat as well.

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 7

I used a 3, 8-inch round cakes and carved them down. For the bill I covered a cardboard template in MMF, and then put some support underneath it to make it stand up. This is before I overcame my fear of gumpaste! I would definately use gumpaste next time!

Just take a real baseball hat and look at it very closely when you carve the cake down. Most b-ball hats are not perfectly round on the top, so you need to add in those little indentions to make it look real. HTH!

<S>

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 7

I just did one but it's not in my pics yet. For the bill, I took a baseball hat, covered the bill with wax paper, cut the gumpaste to the shape of the bill and laid it on the actual hat bill to dry. For the hat part, I used a small steel bowl, baked with a flower nail and it came out perfectly. I crumbcoated & covered the bowl/hat part with fondant, carved in some detail and attached the bill with royal icing (supported with dowels until it dried). Then I made a thin snake to go across where the two met. It was surprisingly easier than I thought it would be.

Debluvs2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debluvs2bake Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 7

I made mine the same as hilly and added stitching and the little air holes.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 7

^^^^
I did mine like they did.
I used a knife to make "stitching" across the bill and added a button on top, didn't think of airholes...next time maybe icon_biggrin.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 7

Wonferful ideas - as I have often looked at all of the photos and no one ever shares how they did it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%