Daisies...fondant Or Gumpaste

Decorating By sugar-2 Updated 11 May 2009 , 7:24pm by sugar-2

sugar-2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar-2 Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 10

i have a cake order coming up in which they would like daisies cascading from the top tier....should i make them out of fondant or gumpaste?....is their a difference (never used gumpaste before)

Thanks

9 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 10

I would use gumpaste - those are not as fragile as the royal icing ones are.(since they have to cascade down the cake)

They are not difficult at all to make out of gumpaste, one of the easiest flowers to do in that medium!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 10

Yes, gumpaste for me too! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 10

i make mine out of gumpaste as well. i just did a cake that had hundreds of daisies on it the whole bottom cake was covered in them so if i never have to make another daisy for as long as i live i would be ok with that...lol....good luck with your cake

shelly

sugar-2 Posted 11 May 2009 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks guys....Shelly...did you make your numerous daisies ahead of time and let dry??? Never used gumpaste before, will they dry rock hard or more like MMF???

lisa5573 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa5573 Posted 11 May 2009 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 10

I'm making a cake with daisys cascading down the side too. I'm making them out of fondant, but I live in a VERY DRY climate, so they dry hard. You could always use a 50/50 gumpaste/fondant mix. That would be less expensive than all gumpaste.

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 11 May 2009 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 10

they will dry really hard. i made them ahead of time, make sure you make extras because after they dry they are very fragile and will break very easy. hope this helps and good luck with your cake.

shelly

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 May 2009 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 10

I make mine out of MMF. I live in a humid area, but still have no problems with them drying nice and hard. Let them dry on something curved. They're thin enough that they dry fast.

I don't use gumpaste for most things...because the people I make cakes for seem to insist on eating the flowers. I once made a cake for my sister that had flowers around the bottom with a bunch of stamens in them. She told me later that she and her coworkers had picked the stamens out and eaten the flowers.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 11 May 2009 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 10

I had a bit of trouble with the fondant dasies on some of my cakes. The humidity seemed to get to them and I had problems with them breaking and bending while getting them on the cake. The next time I added a bit of tylose to the MMF and made the daisies and they were easier to work with. Might just be I don't know a lot about the flower making or MMF. I did make them ahead of time and have made boxes and boxes of them for a cake in a month. Friend wants a cake totally covered in them.

sugar-2 Posted 11 May 2009 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone, you are all so helpful...love this site!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%