How Many Layers In Each Tier?

Decorating By imamommy1205 Updated 16 Jun 2014 , 6:31pm by peyton0424

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 14

I made a 2 tiered cake with 2 layers in each tier, and i just didnt seem right. The tiers seemed too short. I looked it up and traditional wedding cakes (although this one I made wasnt a wedding cake) has 2 layers per tier. Now many layers do you put in each of your tiers? Next time I think I will try out 3, the 2 just didnt seem tall enough.

13 replies
ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 14

Dont quote me but yesterday someone said to me that they do 5 inch tiers --> 2 X 2 inch cakes plus 1 inch for frosting between layers.

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 14

It's really a matter of preference, I do two 2 inch layers with a bit of a filling in between to make them slightly higher than 4 inches tall. Some people do more "torting" and do 3 layers of cake with two layers of filling, but I think for the most part on tiered cakes, the height people prefere is somewhere around 4 inches. I am sure you will get several opinions on this one....... thumbs_up.gif

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 14

How deep are your pans? & What size were your cakes?

If your using 3" pans, then you could torte your cake to make it 4"high.
If your using 2" pans, then you bake two cakes and stack'em.

Plus you could aways use more filling to get more height.

I agree with kerri729, that most are around 4+.

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 11 May 2009 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 14

I used 2 inch pans and had 2 layers in each tier. So they were about 4 inches tall. Maybe the pic I looked at when I got the idea for the cake was a bit taller. I am gonna upload the pic into my pictures. Maybe someone can tell me what they think about its height.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 14

Yes, generally wedding cake tiers are 4" tall, however you personally go about getting that height. Sometimes you go shorter, sometimes taller. All depends on the design and servings needed.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:44am
post #7 of 14

I do 4 layers of cake (2 cakes torted) with 3 layers of filling... my height is slighlty over 4in.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:54am
post #8 of 14

It actually depends. I've done 2 layers, I've done 6. Generally I like my tiers really tall.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 14

My tiers are 4 laters of cake, 3 layers of filling and 4" tall.
4" is standard, although you can design something else.
All cutting cakes assume 4" tall.
Also, if this is for an event that is catered, most caterers will bring either a 5" or 6" dessert plate for the cake. A 4" slice is perfect on the plate.

kimbers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbers Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:25pm
post #10 of 14

I'm just wondering, for those who do 2 2" cakes with a inch of filling, don't you have a problem with the cakes sliding or the filling overflowing? i know to do a butter cream around the filling to keep it inside, but when I have put too much filling in a cake I have a problem and it's not even an inch thick. I'd love to know what you do to keep it from sliding or overflowing.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:33pm
post #11 of 14

I don't know that anyone puts 1" of filling all in one go... my cake may have that much, but it is split into 3 layers.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:40pm
post #12 of 14

you can torte the layers to get more height but once you start getting over 4 inches you could have a problem with support

cinjam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinjam Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:45pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

My tiers are 4 laters of cake, 3 layers of filling and 4" tall.
4" is standard, although you can design something else.
All cutting cakes assume 4" tall.
Also, if this is for an event that is catered, most caterers will bring either a 5" or 6" dessert plate for the cake. A 4" slice is perfect on the plate.

leahs - I think I read one of your PP that said you do 7/8" cake layers. If so, how thick is your filling layer?

BTW - I got the deluxe Agbay - I think I am in love

peyton0424 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peyton0424 Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 6:31pm
post #14 of 14

I am currently about to start a wedding cake and I am wanting to use my 3" deep pans and I want to have four layers of cake with 3 layers of icing. The cake is supposed to be 4 tiers, I am concerned about the stability of the cake with that many layers of filling. I am worried it will fall on me. I bought dowel rods and bubble T straws, along with a large dowel (3/8 ") to stick in the middle of the cake. its a buttercream cake and its suppose to be sitting outside. I am worried about the heat, I live in texas, I have been watching videos on stacking cakes and have read many comments and blogs about it, I am still a bit nervous about everything. is there a guaranteed way it will not fall, if so please let me know!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%