Decorating By sugarycreations Updated 17 May 2009 , 2:17am by TexasSugar

sugarycreations Posted 11 May 2009 , 6:04am
post #1 of 21

Who's going to ICES? I'm looking & thinking hard about it. Wish it was closer to where I live, but from what I see the $$s spent attending would be well worth it.

If you've been before, what did you think was the most worthwhile part? Beside the classes. They're all already sold out much to my disappointment.

20 replies
cblupe Posted 11 May 2009 , 6:46am
post #2 of 21

I will be attending. I love going to ICES and as long as I can attend them you will see me there. I went to my first one in Grapevine, TX in 2006. So this one will be my fourth. I took my husband to Orlando with me last year and his sister and her husband met us there. Let's just say I will not be inviting family to attend. They are soooo needy and I am too selfish and want to just attend the convention and not worry about making sure everyone is having fun. This is my time for me! icon_wink.gif

Sorry, that's a whole nuther subject. Anyway, I love the hands-on demonstrations that they started two years ago. I am in 3 of those this year! icon_cool.gif Plus my eight regular demos. In Nebraska there was one hands-on that I attended and I was really, really, really, ok one more really disappointed in the demonstrator. icon_surprised.gif

I really love the vendor room and looking at all the new toys. I have a spreadsheet of all of the things I have and take with me. I tend to buy stuff I already have and who needs two of the same thing (sorta like who would need two slicer/dicers when one would do).

I also like the cake room looking at all the beautiful cakes from all over the world. People are so talented and inspiring.

So, I will be there!!!

Loucinda Posted 11 May 2009 , 11:48am
post #3 of 21

I will be attending the convention too!! I am in 3 hands on classes (Nic Lodge, Bronwen Weber and the one on fat buddies, can't remember who teaches that one) This will be my first convention - and I can't wait!! I have a jar here on my counter that I stuff money in every chance I get to use in the Vendor's room - and DH gave me a "pass" for mother's day (instead of a gift to open yesterday) to use on what I want there too. I am going with other cake friends instead of family!!! Is it July yet????? icon_biggrin.gif

sugarycreations Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:27am
post #4 of 21

Loucinda, so you're why I can't get into any of the classes. icon_lol.gif Maybe next time.

I've just about decided to go for sure. It's just such major $$. Especially beings I'll take my 16 year old daughter with me. She's going to work with me for sure this summer & is considering it as a career choice.

Loucinda Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 21

You would have died laughing watching me in March. I literally watched the clock waiting for the registration to open! I think I was one of the first ones to sign up - the Nic Lodge class was closed the evening of the first day of registration. icon_eek.gif

I was glad I had a month before the credit card bill came.....but then I worried for nothing....DH said since I was going, to learn as much as I could while I was there!

I am so freakin' excited about this - I need to start a countdown for it!! icon_wink.gif

cblupe Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 21

Loucinda, looks like you and I will be sitting next to each other because I thought I was the first to register on line. I am also in Nick's hands-on class. I am in two other hands-on classes also - 1) Kelly Lance - Gumpaste Sculpture, Bug Party and 2) Maisie Parish - Girl in Red Dress.
I also signed up for the Chicago Bakeries tour on Wednesday.

See you at convention!

Loucinda Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 21

icon_biggrin.gif 77 days to go!!!

TexasSugar Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 21

I'm waiting for the final decision but it looks like I will get to go to this one too. I've been to 4 of them so far. I haven't done any of the hands on demo's, but I still totally enjoy the other demo's they offer. Most of the demo-ers have great information, and I have walked out of almost ever demo I watched learning something new, or seeing a different way to do things.

If you can afford it, it is so worth it! Not only for the demo's but to be surrounded by hundreds of people that are as obsessed as you are about cake decorating and all the cool things involved.

sugarycreations Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:39am
post #9 of 21

Ah March. No wonder. March was a lost month for me. Jim (DH) was so terribly ill, then died the 11th & the rest of the month was a blur. sigh

Does have a meeting room there where we all get together? That would be so cool!

At any rate, I've decided my daughter & I need to, should & want to go. lol Getting away will be good for me. Surrounded by cake & icing & fondant will have to be delightful & we might accidentally learn a few things. icon_wink.gif

cblupe Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:56am
post #10 of 21

Ithink a Cake Central meeting would be awesome!!! Problem would be everyone's schedule, so much to do and things to buy. detective.gif But it would be fun if it could be figured out.

cblupe Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:58am
post #11 of 21

SugaryCreations - I am so sorry for your loss. Hope to see you in Chicago.

pipe-dreams Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:12am
post #12 of 21

Arghhhhh..I wish I could go, but right now the money isn't flowing in. Hubby still has his job, thankfully, but he's getting less hours. And I only do like 2 cakes a week, but not every week. Anyway, i did just find out that NIcholas Lodge is located near Atlanta GA, which is only a few hours away from me. SO I am going to save money and go to his school to get his classes. Plus they have a free open house in Nov, so I'll be there too!!

Everyone that is lucky enough to go to ICES...have a great time!

Sugary..I lost my dad when I was 21, only 14 months after I lost my brother. I am truly sorry to hear about your loss, and I will pray for you and your family to be strong. Keep your head up! And if you need someone who has been there to talk to, please don't hesitate to pm me anytime.

TexasSugar Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:05am
post #13 of 21

I've meet a few CCers as well as people from another cake board at conventions.

Everyone can have a CC 'tag' either something like a name tag with CC on it or a set item like a purple ribbon tied to their bag. Things like that help you pick out other CCers when you are standing in line at Demo's or sitting in the Betty Crocker cake room.

Those that go also usually try to set up a meeting time and place. There is a bulletin board so it can always be posted on there. Something like all CCers meet outside the Better Crocker room at such and such time and date.

I'd wait until the month before the convention, when everyone has decided to plan a get together. icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:42pm
post #14 of 21

That would be great to all meet up!!! Thanks for the suggestions TS!!

Sugary - I am so sorry for the loss of your husband. I have lived through the loss of 2 sons, and to be honest, I cannot remember what happened most of the entire year of each of thier deaths. I don't know what I would have done if I had not had my husband for support during those times. {{{HUGS}}}} to you.

sugarycreations Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:31am
post #15 of 21

Thanks everybody for your kind words.

I have definitely decided to take the plunge & go. I'll be bringing my 16 year old daughter with me.

Hopefully we'll meet a bunch of CCers there. Will be watching for any arrangements of meetings.

This should be totally cool! thumbs_up.gif

nannie Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:48pm
post #16 of 21

I love that you're bringing your daughter.
It will give you both some wonderful mommy/daughter bonding time. icon_lol.gif

I do hope we can all get together.

TexasSugar Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:39am
post #17 of 21

I think the conventions are a great experince. I hope you and your daughter really enjoy it!

I renewed my ICES membership last night and now have to wait until Tuesday to register for the convention. I've gone through the demo list and have narrowed it down to 20 demo's so far. Now I just have to cross out another 14, but I'm having a hard time picking! icon_wink.gif

JenniferMI Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:14pm
post #18 of 21

I'm not going this year, because my husband has had some major health issues, but you will have a great time!!! ICES is wonderful...

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

sugarycreations Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:36pm
post #19 of 21

Taking my daughter is sorta a no-brainer this year. She has said that this summer she'll just work for me instead of seeing about a job elsewhere. Gives her a chance to see if she would like it as a career choice. If not, she'll have a job reference & one more thing she KNOWS she doesn't want to do to earn a living. icon_wink.gif

She's a very creative type person so I would love it if she did like it. I'm huge on being able to bake but not as creative on the decorating so it would be a good fit. Being new at doing this professionally, I figure it would be impossible NOT to learn something new & useful. icon_wink.gif

While I was too late to get in any classes, I found some useful & basic demos that I thought would be a great help. We'll be doing Susan Carberry's Designer Fashion Sugar Cookie, Nicholas Lodge's Gumpaste Bridal Flowers, Mary Jo Dowling's Color 101 Mixing Matching & Manipulating, Dominic Palazzolo's Make Your Own Cake Border Molds, & Alan Randlesome's Basic Techniques in Fondant & Impression Mats. Due to my husband's death, I'm pretty desperate for Color 101. He was a paint salesman so was constantly consulted on colors. Icing. Paint. They color the same. Especially beings Porter Paints uses a cream colored base & I use butter in my buttercream. icon_smile.gif

We're both really excited about it & looking forward to it. Hope to meet a bunch of you in person!

pipe-dreams Posted 17 May 2009 , 1:33am
post #20 of 21

I was actually reading up on ICES last night. I was thinking of becoming a member, and would love some input from other members. So, from what I understand, they send out a newsletter every month, and have a convention once a year? What is in the newsletter? $60 for a year is a really good price, but I'd like to know what info they offer in the letter, and anything else I missed! Thanks!

TexasSugar Posted 17 May 2009 , 2:17am
post #21 of 21

I wanted to do Color 101, but the Flowers, Fairies and Gnomes suckered me in. I really wish they did their times differently!! Most of the demo's I want to do conflict with other demo's I want to do.

I could use the color help myself. That is why I tell my students that I have some many different colors cause I suck at mixing colors myself. icon_wink.gif

Pipe-dreams, I actually let my membership lapse last year since I wasn't going to the convention. The newsletters are nice, but I think the value of the membership comes from saving money when you sign up for the convention.

The Newsletters have cakes from the convention, usually a How To or something, then information about what is going on with ICES at the time. This time of year, the newsletter has a lot of information in it about the conventions.

Also by being a member you will receive information about what other ices events such as DOS are going on in your area or state. That is always nice to know. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%