Wilton Instant Gumpaste

Decorating By ChiweenieChic Updated 11 May 2009 , 5:58pm by missyd4e

ChiweenieChic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChiweenieChic Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:44am
post #1 of 7

Has anyone else had this problem? I followed the instructions...1 can of gumpaste powder mixed with 1/4 cup of water. It seems like that was way too much water. It was very pasty and I was not able to kneed it like the directions said. Should I have used a mixer? I just used a fork to mix it. Maybe I should stick with the already made stuff, but it was much cheaper to do it this way.

Thanks

6 replies
G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:47am
post #2 of 7

I bought it but haven't used it yet...now I am wondering myself...free bump

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:50am
post #3 of 7

I used it for my last cake 2 weeks ago and didnt have any peoblem with it. It turned out perfect. Maybe humidity had something to do with it.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:27am
post #4 of 7

I've used the gumpaste mix to make some baby booties for a cake topper. Worked fine, mixed per directions, although it did dry rather quickly.

If you had any fondant, you could have added that to the gumpaste. It would have absorbed some of the extra water and given you a slightly slower drying modeling medium.

Some members mix gumpaste and fondant in a 50/50 mixture for modeling - dries harder than plain fondant but not so quickly as straight gumpaste (which dries really really fast).

HTH

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 7

I made some and it was very stretchy, too stretchy to for me to do anything with. I have used their premade stuff which works fine.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:27pm
post #6 of 7

You can knead in more powdered sugar to help get rid of the stickiness, that will save the batch you made. Humidity levels differ everywhere, it affects the outcome.

I have used the wilton mix, the wilton pre-made and Nicholas Lodge's recipe. I prefer the Nic Lodge recipe out of all 3.

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 7

I just had this problem last week. I made one batch (can) and it was so sitcky I ended up throwing some of it away just trying to get it off my hands! icon_cry.gif So, I bought another can and tried it again. This is what I did differently and it worked:
1. I mixed the powder with the water with a spatula REALLY, REALLY well.
2. I dusted my counter with PS and dusted my hands with it as well.
3. As I kneeded it I made sure my counter was dusted with PS as well as my hands.

My second batch turned out PERFECT! icon_lol.gif It could have been a fluke thing, but it worked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%