Has anyone else had this problem? I followed the instructions...1 can of gumpaste powder mixed with 1/4 cup of water. It seems like that was way too much water. It was very pasty and I was not able to kneed it like the directions said. Should I have used a mixer? I just used a fork to mix it. Maybe I should stick with the already made stuff, but it was much cheaper to do it this way.
I bought it but haven't used it yet...now I am wondering myself...free bump
I used it for my last cake 2 weeks ago and didnt have any peoblem with it. It turned out perfect. Maybe humidity had something to do with it.
I've used the gumpaste mix to make some baby booties for a cake topper. Worked fine, mixed per directions, although it did dry rather quickly.
If you had any fondant, you could have added that to the gumpaste. It would have absorbed some of the extra water and given you a slightly slower drying modeling medium.
Some members mix gumpaste and fondant in a 50/50 mixture for modeling - dries harder than plain fondant but not so quickly as straight gumpaste (which dries really really fast).
I made some and it was very stretchy, too stretchy to for me to do anything with. I have used their premade stuff which works fine.
You can knead in more powdered sugar to help get rid of the stickiness, that will save the batch you made. Humidity levels differ everywhere, it affects the outcome.
I have used the wilton mix, the wilton pre-made and Nicholas Lodge's recipe. I prefer the Nic Lodge recipe out of all 3.
I just had this problem last week. I made one batch (can) and it was so sitcky I ended up throwing some of it away just trying to get it off my hands! So, I bought another can and tried it again. This is what I did differently and it worked:
1. I mixed the powder with the water with a spatula REALLY, REALLY well.
2. I dusted my counter with PS and dusted my hands with it as well.
3. As I kneeded it I made sure my counter was dusted with PS as well as my hands.
My second batch turned out PERFECT! It could have been a fluke thing, but it worked.