Crumb Coating? What Does Everyone Use?

Decorating By VS8894 Updated 15 May 2009 , 12:20pm by Lee15

VS8894 Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:32am
post #1 of 12

Calling all CCer's. What does everyone use? I have been using melted buttercream. I would like to know what everyone else uses. I am up for some new, easy ideas..

Any suggestions?

Vicki

11 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:38am
post #2 of 12

Well, I stopped crumbcoating a long time ago. I apply the icing carefully, and start smoothing from there. Saves a lot of time!

But I'm pretty sure you're gonna get a lot of answers that say "the very same BC I ice my cake with".

What is melted buttercream? Are you just making a thinned out version of your regular BC?

jammjenks Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:40am
post #3 of 12

I don't crumb coat every cake, but when I need to I use the same bc that I ice the cake with.

Elise87 Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:46am
post #4 of 12

yeh same i just do a thin coat of the buttercream on the cake let it crust a bit then apply another coat works just fine icon_smile.gif

step0nmi Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:47am
post #5 of 12

I just use a thinned version of the bc I am using and then let it crust over icon_smile.gif

PennySue Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:00am
post #6 of 12

I always crumb coat my cakes with cake spackle. It's a mix of the bcf I'm using and cake crumbs from either a small "left over batter" cake or from pieces I've trimmed off. It makes a nice firm base to ice over.

bakingatthebeach Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:26pm
post #7 of 12

I just use a thin coat of buttercream where you still see the cake through it. I dont melt it, just put it on the cake and let it rest and crust afterwards. As far as saving time, for me anyways, it keeps the crumbs out of the finished product for only 5 or 10 min of extra work so Im not spending that 5 or 10 extra min trying to ice the cake to keep the crumbs out.

solascakes Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:03pm
post #8 of 12

Same here, a thin coat of buttercream.What is melted bc.

VS8894 Posted 11 May 2009 , 9:03pm
post #9 of 12

I melt the buttercream icing in the microwave, about 25 seconds, then kinda pour onto the cake. It just seems like it uses alot of my icing, thought there might be some tricks to the trade out there.

Thanks for the answers.

Vicki

CookieMeister Posted 11 May 2009 , 9:19pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySue

I always crumb coat my cakes with cake spackle. It's a mix of the bcf I'm using and cake crumbs from either a small "left over batter" cake or from pieces I've trimmed off. It makes a nice firm base to ice over.

I just read about that in a Toba Garrett book. So that works well for you? I'll have to try it.

PennySue Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:20am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySue

I just read about that in a Toba Garrett book. So that works well for you? I'll have to try it.

Sorry I'm late in responding, nasty migraine for the past few days. Yes, it works really well for me. I believe I first used it when I had a rather soft cake I was putting fondant on. It made it so nice and sturdy. I've been using it ever since.

Lee15 Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:20pm
post #12 of 12

Sorry but I am going to hijack this post. I use buttercream to crumbcoat (the same as what I will frost with) as well as under fondant. However, someone said that Collette Peters recommends using royal icing to frost the cake/crumb coat before putting on fondant. Has anyone else tried this? Does the RI cut the fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%