Tres Leches Cake - As A Wedding Cake....

Decorating By kettlevalleygirl Updated 11 May 2009 , 5:44pm by panchanewjersey

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:24am
post #1 of 10

I have never made the Tres Leches Cake, and have been asked to make on for a small wedding party. The couple had their wedding at Playa de Carmen, in April, and the whole wedding party and guest became sick...it wasn't the swine virus, but something similar to the norwalk...(they were all tested).. They want to kind of redo the celebration...
So the question is/are: is that a cake that can be tiered or stacked?, can you put buttercream, or fondant on it? How firm is that kind of cake...any comments or instructions would be great...
Thanks,
KVG

9 replies
cata29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cata29 Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:35am
post #2 of 10

This cake is very milky, I have made it about 4 times and have had trouble decorating it because if it is out to long it starts to leak milk from the bottom. I know you have to keep it in the refrigerator and i have use whipped cream to decorate it and I really dont think you can stack it due to all the liquid you have to add.

2SimplySweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SimplySweet Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:03am
post #3 of 10

This cake is going to be soooo heavy too. I wish you all the best!

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:25am
post #4 of 10

From what I have read.....I have not done one.
It is better to cover it in whipped frosting, you can place it on some sort of cake plate that has a bit of a lip so the it won't leak and I have read that someone did it in separate tiers, but I do not know about stacked. I have also read that you can poke holes in the top layer and pour SOME milk mixture in then, when it seeps down to the bottom tier it wont leak out.......Never tried it though.
Hope that helps....

Justbeck101 Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:30am
post #5 of 10

This person posted may 9th. I would check out this post then ask for any info that they can give you. They do Tres Leche wedding cakes.

Poster: gladysrdz24

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-630420-tres.html+leches

Justbeck101 Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:47am
post #7 of 10

OKAY last one I promise!!! This has a tutorial!!!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-4018063-.html#4018063

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:02pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for all the information, I did not get any notifications, so I am just looking at the responses now.....

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:33pm
post #9 of 10

Yes you can decorate it, if u look in my pictures more of my cakes are 3 leches but I use Pastry Pride to decorate it.and you can stacked too. thumbs_up.gif

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:44pm
post #10 of 10

The secret to stacking and decorating it believe it or not, you can use fondant of bc just use less milk so it's not to wet so that it doesn't seep out from the bottom. Most people here have said that, and it makes sense. Of course most spanish style tres leches are very wet and taste good, but if at all possible you need to keep it in frig as long as you can.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%