How To Handle Fondant Cutouts? (Had A Pain Using Them)

Decorating By bourbs Updated 11 May 2009 , 3:07pm by bourbs

bourbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bourbs Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:51am
post #1 of 12

Hey, This may be a dumb question, but I made a fondant covered cake and put some little fondant cutout hearts on it.

My question is, I had a heck of a time getting these little hearts out of the cutter and it was a real pain getting them on the cake without squishing them, or getting marks on them or dropping them, lol

Is there a trick to this that would help me in my future cakes?

Tks and bunch, Marie

11 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:18am
post #2 of 12

Dust your cutter with cornstarch before you use it. If the fondant shape gets stuck, use a ball tool or the rounded end of a paintbrush to gently press it out of the cutter.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:25am
post #3 of 12

After you roll let the fondant sit a bit before you cut, then if they are stiff enough not to lose there shape, pick them up and place them. Or let them sit a little longer then pick them up.

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:44am
post #4 of 12

When I've had soft fondant, I've sometimes mixed a small amount of gumpaste w/ the fondant, & then let the cutout sit for a little bit before I try to handle it - or even roll it out & let the whole thing sit. I just use a tiny bit so it doesn't dry hard, it just stiffens it up enough to be managable.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:51am
post #5 of 12

You can add some tylose to the fondant so is easier to work with when doing cut outs
Edna icon_smile.gif

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 11 May 2009 , 11:19am
post #6 of 12

After doing the things others suggested, I use an artist's pallet knife to pick up fondant cut outs, makes a world of difference.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:12pm
post #7 of 12

I actually grease the cutter first. It allows the cuts to be sharper - then use a pallet knife to lift them - also when working with pieces of fondant - I use a 50/50 blend of cornstarch/powdered sugar to roll them out. (if I am rolling to cover a cake I do not use the 50/50 - I use shortning - helps keep it supple and NO dry powdery spots on the cake)

BE CAREFUL greasing the cutter - there are sometimes sharp edges that will cut your finger.....one way to do it without using your finger is to take a spot on your mat, rub some shortning on it, then take the cutter and just wiggle in back and forth in that shortning.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:33pm
post #8 of 12

I roll out my fonant/regal ice to desired thickness -
Give a very very very light spray of *bake easy*
Let sit for 3 minutes or so -
Cut out shapes -
Let sit for another 2 minutes -
Using pallette knife or any large knife with a smooth sharp blade, slide under edge of first shape - lift up and with a dab of sugar glue attatch to cake.

Actually - if i am cutting out say 20 shapes at a time - by the time i have cut out the last shape - the first one is ready to be lifted up and adhered to cake.
I never use corn starch/corn flour as i find it can dry the regal ice/fondant to much - it also depends of where you live and the weather.

I use this method whether using plastic plunger cutters or metal cutters...
as like Loucinda said - i find it gives a *sharper edge*.

Hope this helps you bourbs. icon_smile.gif
Bluehue.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:34pm
post #9 of 12

I roll out my fonant/regal ice to desired thickness -
Give a very very very light spray of *bake easy*
Let sit for 3 minutes or so -
Cut out shapes -
Let sit for another 2 minutes -
Using pallette knife or any large knife with a smooth sharp blade, slide under edge of first shape - lift up and with a dab of sugar glue attatch to cake.

Actually - if i am cutting out say 20 shapes at a time - by the time i have cut out the last shape - the first one is ready to be lifted up and adhered to cake.
I never use corn starch/corn flour as i find it can dry the regal ice/fondant to much - it also depends of where you live and the weather.

I use this method whether using plastic plunger cutters or metal cutters...
as like Loucinda said - i find it gives a *sharper edge*.

Hope this helps you bourbs. icon_smile.gif
Bluehue.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:39pm
post #10 of 12

Great advice. Thank you!! thumbs_up.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:53pm
post #11 of 12

One last hint - place in refrigerator for a few minutes before pushing out of cutter. I also like to run my finger over the cutting edge to give a clean edge to the findant piece, and use a product called 'slip' to grease the cutting edge if its a intricate one icon_smile.gif

bourbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bourbs Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:07pm
post #12 of 12

OMG, such common sense tips! Thank you so much for helping me!
I'm just now starting to work with fondant, so I'm a bit clueless so thank you for bearing with my questions and for taking the time out of your day to teach me the right way.

Blessings, Marie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%