Cake Mix Versus Homemade

Decorating By Kiki74 Updated 13 May 2009 , 4:57pm by ntertayneme

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:37pm
post #61 of 114

And I don't want anyone to take whay I am saying as being combative. I am certainly not trying to be. I am calm and level-headed. I just like a good debate too.

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:50pm
post #62 of 114

i use a bit of both. i was raised in a "everything must be home-made" kind of family and i love to cook from scratch but when i do larger cakes i just find it so much easier to use the boxes. i usually personalize them though by adding stuff like crushed oreos, coffee syrup, bailey's etc. and i always make my own icing and filling. if i am doing a small one tier sometimes i make it from scratch. i havn't tried a large cake from scratch yet. it just seems too intimidating, lol. i guess if somebody paid me enough i definately would though.

btw on leftover cake, i have been trying to figure out ways to use it instead of throw it away. last night i made some cake balls with leftoever red velvet scraps and baileys' and rolled them in chocolate and they are awesome!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:02pm
post #63 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycaker

I am sorry to find that someone was nearly in tears over this.
Likewise, if a customer asks (for whatever reason, allergy, health, nosiness) about ingredients, I feel (and my local/state laws also require) that full disclosure is given. If I used enriched flour (which I have for some product lines), yes, the Niacin, Brans, Malts, etc. are all listed.

So, no, I am not into the scratch/mix divide...just disclosure. That I do see as black and white...just like a printed label! thumbs_up.gif

(My emphasis on the bold)

Yessssss...Just tell the truth.

And you've got to be kidding about someone being in tears over this?!?!?! What???

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:05pm
post #64 of 114

I don't look down on anyone who uses a box mix, but I prefer not to myself. In my opinion, my scratch cakes taste better than any boxed cake I have ever had (and my scratch white is my FAVORITE), but if the customers of the folks using boxed mixes are happy, then what's the problem?. I do feel there should be full disclosure, if someone is asked. I can tell the difference between a boxed mix and a scratch cake, when eating it. it think it's more of a textural thing, and also it's the artificial flavors that stand out to me (I only use 100% real extracts/flavorings). I don't like to eat anything made with imitation extracts/flavorings, because THAT is what imparts a chemical taste, to me. And when it gets down to it, the biggest reason I prefer scratch over boxed: Well, I have to do SOMETHING to make the $40k I spent on culinary school worth it icon_wink.gif

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:06pm
post #65 of 114

I like the idea that people with different opinions can all state where their views lay on topics such as this. That's what makes these forums such an enriching experience, not only do you get great instructions for so many techniques but you get to see the different ideas out there in cakeworld.

Having just graduated from culinary school, I can tell you that the scratch/box (processed) debate is going on in more than just the world of cake.

As some people have already said it's nearly impossible to make almost anything without some ingredients that havn't been processed/chemically altered by our modern system. That's part of the benefit/drawback of living in our technological world. Our ingredients last longer, they give a more predictable performance, and they are easier to obtain. But in some ways they are no longer 'pure' because off all that has been done to them to make them this way.

Right now molecular gastronomy is really fueling the fire in the culinary world, because some are feel that all the stabilizers/chemicals used to create those unique foods render it nothing more than gourmet processed meals. Some argue that the chemicals are available to be used, so why not use them? Technically meat is not edible (to most of us) until we chemically alter it by cooking it. When it really comes down to it all of baking/cooking is a series of methods of applying chemically alternating processes to different ingredients until we get the outcome we want.

It's like organic farming/vs non organic, there is no definition, there can't be, it's all objective. It depends on what you are comfortable with and what your customers like. As long as you are honest with them (and the law) it really is all about opinion.

Now who wants S'mores!

crazycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycaker Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:11pm
post #66 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

And you've got to be kidding about someone being in tears over this?!?!?! What???

I think the statement was nearly in tears (p. 2). I am sorry -- truly -- if things got so upsetting. When we do something we love, it is hard to have a debate sometimes.

Emotions can run high. icon_cry.gif

However -- for my state/region -- yes, the full Monty on the ingredients. And yes, there are shops and producers who skirt the law.

I have had people take a cake sample (I have a sign with the ingredients when I do samples) at bridal shows, get it an inch from their mouth, and say, "Wait...whoa -- do you use XYZ? I can't have XYZ!" icon_confused.gif

And yes, I can point to my sign....it might only happen one in a hundred people, but I am glad (as is my inspector and insurance agent!) that I follow my local laws! thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:18pm
post #67 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I don't look down on anyone who uses a box mix, but I prefer not to myself. In my opinion, my scratch cakes taste better than any boxed cake I have ever had (and my scratch white is my FAVORITE), but if the customers of the folks using boxed mixes are happy, then what's the problem?. I do feel there should be full disclosure, if someone is asked. I can tell the difference between a boxed mix and a scratch cake, when eating it. it think it's more of a textural thing, and also it's the artificial flavors that stand out to me (I only use 100% real extracts/flavorings). I don't like to eat anything made with imitation extracts/flavorings, because THAT is what imparts a chemical taste, to me. And when it gets down to it, the biggest reason I prefer scratch over boxed: Well, I have to do SOMETHING to make the $40k I spent on culinary school worth it icon_wink.gif

PinkZ I totally get what you're saying.

I want to lift one little saying from your post to illustrate my point about the discrimination and the emotions and the fear and the cheating and the guilt. Again I totally get where you're coming from and that's very cool.

You state that you don't look down on anyone who uses a mix. And I don't think you do at all. I'm just saying I have this same virus. Why would we, me and you and all of us qualify this in such a bizare way.

Of course we don't look down on anyone but we still feel the need to say that. Get what I mean? Saying we don't means we made a choice. Why is the choice there.

It's such a curious curious social thing. It 'sjust is so ingrained but why and how do we get it out and why do we have to say either way. List the ingredients & be done. No we gotta 'not look down on people'

"You gotta tell the blunt truth so I look better than you even if it's gonna hurt your business"--
"No no I'll euphemize till I die".

Wild wilder wildest yes? I wanna know what anthropologists will make of this in centuries to come.

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:19pm
post #68 of 114

that's def a good argument about the ingredients. i mostly do cakes for friends and fam so it hasn't been an issue. i did make a sugar free all natural smash cake for my niece though. it actually wasn't bad tasting, couldn't get hubby to go near it though, lol!

i also use "home-grown" fresh eggs and have been wondering whether or not some people would care.

Madiken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Madiken Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:21pm
post #69 of 114

Just a quick question. Do you all get asked on a regular basis whether you use a mix or bake from scratch? I'm just wondering because I've never actually been asked! I "doctor" cake mixes and never bake my cakes from scratch but noone has ever asked me. I have alway gotten rave reviews on the taste of my cakes though.

-K8memphis Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:22pm
post #70 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanne25

I like the idea that people with different opinions can all state where their views lay on topics such as this. That's what makes these forums such an enriching experience, not only do you get great instructions for so many techniques but you get to see the different ideas out there in cakeworld.

Now who wants S'mores!

Hey Cheyanne, let him who is without a box of fillo dough in the frige throw the first cupcake huh???!!!

I'll take a s'more--make mine sugar free, and add some protein to the graham cracker. icon_biggrin.gif

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:24pm
post #71 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

I want to lift one little saying from your post to illustrate my point about the discrimination and the emotions and the fear and the cheating and the guilt. Again I totally get where you're coming from and that's very cool.

You state that you don't look down on anyone who uses a mix. And I don't think you do at all. I'm just saying I have this same virus. Why would we, me and you and all of us qualify this in such a bizare way.

Of course we don't look down on anyone but we still feel the need to say that. Get what I mean? Saying we don't means we made a choice. Why is the choice there.

It's such a curious curious social thing. It 'sjust is so ingrained but why and how do we get it out and why do we have to say either way. List the ingredients & be done. No we gotta 'not look down on people'

"You gotta tell the blunt truth so I look better than you even if it's gonna hurt your business"--
"No no I'll euphemize till I die".

Wild wilder wildest yes? I wanna know what anthropologists will make of this in centuries to come.

I think they'd say that it comes down to the eternal idea that whatever is not the most widely available is the superior option. The majority of at home bakers (caker's aside) now a days use the box/mix method, scratch baking has fallen to the wayside. And naturally that deems it to be superior. When processed foods first emerged into our markets they were the superior culinary option. Now it's so widespread it's not longer innovative.

-K8memphis Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:25pm
post #72 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madiken

Just a quick question. Do you all get asked on a regular basis whether you use a mix or bake from scratch? I'm just wondering because I've never actually been asked! I "doctor" cake mixes and never bake my cakes from scratch but noone has ever asked me. I have alway gotten rave reviews on the taste of my cakes though.

It comes up.

Sasha_Sweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sasha_Sweetie Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:31pm
post #73 of 114

What box do I fit in if I make scratch cakes and use store bought fondant? Am I a mixed breed?

costumeczar Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:32pm
post #74 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha_Sweetie

What box do I fit in if I make scratch cakes and use store bought fondant? Am I a mixed breed?

Yup! icon_lol.gif

Sasha_Sweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sasha_Sweetie Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:37pm
post #75 of 114

Now I am getting a complex about using store bought fondant!

Best turn off and not read any more.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:38pm
post #76 of 114
Quote:

Too funny!!!!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:51pm
post #77 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

Yup! icon_lol.gif

Mixed breed???

More like a mixed scratch--- icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:59pm
post #78 of 114
Quote:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I phrased it that way, because part of the ongoing debate is which is "better," and I was trying to convey that I don't think what I do is necessarily "better" than what someone else does (in this cake, scratch vs box), just that I PREFER the way I do things. Hell, I use Satin Ice, and I'm proud of it! lol

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:09pm
post #79 of 114
Quote:

Quote:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I phrased it that way, because part of the ongoing debate is which is "better," and I was trying to convey that I don't think what I do is necessarily "better" than what someone else does (in this cake, scratch vs box), just that I PREFER the way I do things. Hell, I use , and I'm proud of it! lol

This is is my thought on it too... hell I use satin ice sometimes too. The whole "debate" is one of those personal things... like religion... that everyone has their thoughts on and ain't no one gonna change those thoughts no matter what you say.

The only angle where I think scratch is better than mix is my own personal angle. For me personally, scratch is better because baking is a satisfying process for me. Not everyone feels the same... and that's okay by me. Are they exactly the same... no... but there is no morally right way to bake... unless you are baking with ground up puppies or something... then that's wrong... icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:18pm
post #80 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

I know what her point is, and agree with a lot of it. I just think it goes too far. If twinkies are made from scratch then so if everyother processed food. Can you hear the verses of kumbya yet?

I am not trying to get anyone riled up here, but at some point everything starts from scratch, right?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:21pm
post #81 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamber82

...i usually personalize them though by adding stuff like crushed oreos, coffee syrup, bailey's etc....

Coffee syrup! You must be from around my neck of the woods.

costumeczar Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:22pm
post #82 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouchet82

I am not trying to get anyone riled up here, but at some point everything starts from scratch, right?

Phhhhhht icon_razz.gif Yeah, then it gets unneccesary gums, artificial flavorings, dyes and hydrogenated fats added to it so that the cake mix company won't get sued by someone who says they can't make the mix work.

I'm going to go read a different thread now...The one about whether Catholicism, Buddhism or Judaism is right looks good and peaceful.

Country_girrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Country_girrl Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:32pm
post #83 of 114

I love the fact that this thread is being called a "debate" it is full of opinions. To each their own. I am satisfied with the product that I provide my clients. More importantly, they are more than satisfied with it. I have yet to be asked if it is from scratch or box, but when faced with that question, I have nothing to hide and am proud of what I do. With saying that, you notice that I have not told you all if I use box or scratch method. Either way it will not make the difference in the way the votes fall here.

-K8memphis Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:53pm
post #84 of 114

It's not often we hear someone say they don't look down on scratch bakers.

To me it illustrates the classic struggle. We don't look down on anyone for this or that. It's not (just) that we disagree with thier methods. It's not (only) that we prefer a different way. It's we don't look down on someone (on a person) for what they make cake with and it's a conscious decision.

I kinda look down on me and I use both. But I talk myself out of it.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:20pm
post #85 of 114

I don't bake for sale, but I use all methods for baking the cakes that I bake, and it depends on how *I* feel at the time.

Can I tell the difference between my from-scratch and a box mix? Oh, yes. The box mix is softer and has a spongier texture, not to mention being vividly colored in whatever fashion the mix is supposed to be colored. (Very yellow for yellow cakes, very white for white cakes, very brown for chocolate cakes...) The main reason for this is probably that I use cake flour for my from-scratch recipes. But I can't say that I taste anything "chemical" about it. It's just a slight difference.

I always keep wanting to say, though, to the people who are all "OMG CHEMIKALZZZ!!" about their food..."you do realize that when the human diet had NONE of these lab-produced goodies in it, the average life expectancy was 50 years or less, right?"

Think about it.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:58pm
post #86 of 114

Ok Peeps.... we've beaten the horses Manny, Mo and now Jack into the ground. Manny and Mo both died last week in threads that got ugly about this debate. Please, keep the horses alive!!

Ok, now the poor horses are gone and buried.... please see Cakewrecks memorial below to them:
LL

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:09pm
post #87 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriana

Ok Peeps.... we've beaten the horses Manny, Mo and now Jack into the ground. Manny and Mo both died last week in threads that got ugly about this debate. Please, keep the horses alive!!

Ok, now the poor horses are gone and buried.... please see Cakewrecks memorial below to them:

LMAO, It does kinda look dead with the tongue sticking out
As for the great cake debate, I think it is kinda similar to the breast feeding debate. If you don't breast feed you are "a bad mother", if you don't bake from scratch you are " a bad baker" (please notice the quotation marks, nothing against either). Some women cannot breast feed, some bakers cannot bake from scratch, some women think it is easier not to breast feed, some bakers think it is easier not to bake from scratch, and finally some women just don't want to breast feed and some baker just don't want to bake from scratch. We all have our reasons and preferences, so let's try to not be judgemental, there is no right or wrong answer. But if you bake a cake for me, scratch or box, please don't put any breast milk in it icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:12pm
post #88 of 114

icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:16pm
post #89 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

I always keep wanting to say, though, to the people who are all "OMG CHEMIKALZZZ!!" about their food..."you do realize that when the human diet had NONE of these lab-produced goodies in it, the average life expectancy was 50 years or less, right?"

Think about it.

I'll think about it...Hmmm...we also had no antibiotics, chemotherapy and other forms of modern medicine. I don't think that lab-produced food additives are increasing the human lifespan. Last thing I heard, the generation of kids who are young now are going to have shorter lifespans than their parents for the first time in a long time, mainly (so say the health experts) because of the crappy diet that most of us have.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 12 May 2009 , 7:30pm
post #90 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Oh dear. Yes, it has been covered a multitude of times. Usually these threads end up in a heated debate and get locked. Here's just one example, but a forum search would bring up TONS of threads.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-629974-0.html

LOL!!! I'm thinking that H & J should put a new addition in the *terms of use* section here on CC............."Member agrees to never start a thread asking advice about scratch vs. mix" icon_lol.gif

I'm not reading through all six pages of this AGAIN to see if someone else already said this... But ITA with dkelly!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%