First Demo

Decorating By Briarview Updated 11 May 2009 , 11:12am by linedancer

Briarview Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 4

I have been asked to do a Demo at a sugar art retreat this coming weekend. I have organised as to what I am going to demo, boxes and bows. Have any of the members any tips as to what and what not to do.
Not sure as how to start. "Hi my name is Jan and I would like to demo boxes and bows" sounds too stiff as I probably will be already introduced. It is a very laid back event and we have several demonstrators who are just the average cake decorator and it is for a week-end and it is like school camp sleeping in bunks but I think we are all a bit past midnight snacks, just more like who snored during the night. lol. Did do a trial with my local members and had a lot of laughs but they were rather distracting with all their comments and banter. Perhaps I could have the alcohol on the side (for mixing with colours of course! ) and even a sniff might relax me. The demo is for 1½hours and have tried at home to talk to the wall while doing it but then there are interruptions and everything goes out the window. Look forward to some tips thanks.

3 replies
Loucinda Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:53am
post #2 of 4

I di dmy first demo at our ICES DOS this past month. It was my first time doing anything like that in front of a bunch of people too. I was sooo nervous. The most important thing was to relax - I was on a stage and was thinking everyone was able to see every mistake I was making....in reality ~ afterwards they told me they could not see them at all! Make notes to keep on little cards so you don't forget any steps. And remember that they are all just really glad that you are there showing them a cool technique they don't know how to do! You'll do great!

Briarview Posted 11 May 2009 , 10:11am
post #3 of 4

Thank you Loucinda. Wow demo at Ices. I could never do that! I have just practised and hopefully eveything will fall into place. I have made everything so many times I think I could probably do it in my sleep but I know when the time comes I must not panic, keep calm and hopefully I will enjoy it. As you say they are really glad that you are showing them a cool technique they hopefully haven't done but I realise there will be the experienced ones who have done everything. But this is my way and there are many different ways everything can be done. Fingers crossed.

linedancer Posted 11 May 2009 , 11:12am
post #4 of 4

I used to give seminars on billing procedures, all over the US when I was working. It really is a lot of fun and I enjoyed teaching others. There are two tips I have for you. First of all, know your material. Be very comfortable with what you are going to demo. Make sure you know everything there is to know about it. The second tip is just to relax. Act like you are in your home talking naturally to a group of friends. Periodically ask if there are any questions. If it is a small group, try to get some interaction, it will make your demo go easier, if there are interested parties asking questions. Most of all, have fun thumbs_up.gif Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%