Has Anyone Had Trouble With Bleeding Colors?

Decorating By PiePie Updated 10 May 2009 , 11:01pm by cakeandpartygirl

PiePie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiePie Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 5

I am fairly new to decorating and have a grad cake due in June. June can be pretty humid at times and the cake will be outdoors. I have heard that dark colors can bleed. She wants royal blue borders and flowers. The cake will be iced in bc. I am not sure which would work best for this situation, bc, ri or fondant flowers. The border will be bc. Any thoughts in helping me avoid bleeding?

4 replies
katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 5

No, but I use sweetex which is for high humidy. You may have trouble if you have a lot of butter in your BC. There is something you can add but I don't recall what the name is. Hopefully someone else can help you. Just make sure when you decorate your cake that it's completely defrosted.

Good Luck,
Kat

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 5

I can sympathize with you. It's humid here too and colors bleeding is an issue. Some things I do are:

1 - add 1 tsp. Meringue Powder per cup of shortening when making BC. I add it at the same time I add the powdered sugar.

2 - I try to wait as long as I possibly can to put the colored icing on the cake.

3 - After the cake is iced do not cover it. Keep it in an airconditioned room (not the refrigerator unless you absolutely have to). If the icing sweats it will bleed.

Here's an FYI. Royal blue icing turns the tongue and teeth blue and the bride may not know that. If possible I would use RI or Fondant for decorations that will be royal blue. In that case, bleeding wouldn't need to be an issue (at least for that cake icon_biggrin.gif ) .

Hopefully this will help thumbs_up.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 10 May 2009 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 5

I have heard that meringue powder will add with the stability issue. I think that ri flowers would be ok. I am not sure if this would help with the bledding but make sure like katwomen1up said make sure that your cake is defrosted or that it has crusted over.

But the main thing is to see if the cake can be kept indoors icon_smile.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 10 May 2009 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 5

Maybe you can use indydebi's buttercream

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%