If I Needed You To Ship Me A Baby, Would You?

Decorating By mrsbriggs06 Updated 13 May 2009 , 12:40am by mommyle

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 19

icon_lol.gif

ok.. i'm making a baby shower cake for a dear friend this weekend (the 16th).

last week, I ordered two baby molds from 1st impressions (the baby w/it's butt in the air naked & the newest semi stretched out baby).
i had to check a box that said 'we're running behind..blah blah..', so i included with my order a reuest to be notified of just how far behind they are-- since i still want the molds but need to know when to expect them b/c of the design of this cake. i promptly receive a replay stating that they are 2 weeks behind + shipping time. icon_cry.gif

so.. i head over to global sugar & thankfully they have the 'butt in the air naked baby' that i'm in love with. it's in stock, so i add a few more things to my order & $60 later i'm a happy camper.

fast forward 2 days.. it's friday and my package arrives as i'm rushing out the door with my mom's bday cake. i'm super excited that the baby's here and can't wait to get my hands on it..

Saturday, after I delivered the elmo cake to a first bday party, i get home & mold a 'trial run' baby. i used fondant popped him in the freezer...

when i unmolded it, the poor thing has a 'birth defect'. turns out there's a silicone bubble in the mold right where the nose should be!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

instead of a cute lil button nose, he has a hole.

i emailed Alan yesterday, but haven't heard back yet. even when I do, i don't have my hope too high that i can remedy this in time..

so..
would anyone be willing to ship me a caucasian baby??? sure, it's a 'gift' cake for a friend, but it's her last child and i want it to be a really special cake!

i'm in va 23803 zip. you can reply here with laughs or suggestions.. or PM me if you can help. (don't want this to run into a bidding war or anything silly) icon_biggrin.gif
LL

18 replies
Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 19

The title just didn't sound right!!! lol

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 19

Yeah, the title was hilarious. I would have shipped mine for a few days! icon_lol.gif just kidding, she's lovely!

I'm so sorry to here about your trouble. If you really are serious about someone shipping a baby to you, you should put what state you are in at least. It would arrive much quicker if it's someone close by to you!

mrsbriggs06 Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 19

icon_lol.gif the title was so i can actually get a few people in here, lol.. i'm editing the post to add my state & a pic..

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 19

Wow! That's quite a hole! Could you maybe fill it and sculpt it a little? Other than the hole, it looks awesome. I was going to buy that mold, too.

Wish I had a caucasian baby to send, but mine is six yrs. old and probably wouldn't fit on the cake! LOL

Good luck!!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 19

Don't mean any disrespect but sorry that cake is just wrong...........who wants to cut into a *baby* that looks so real? icon_rolleyes.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif

mrsbriggs06 Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 19

icon_smile.gif

i'm thinking i'll mold a few & try to fill the hole tonight... see if i can get it to look passable.. the thing is... this mold --this baby-- is SO perfect.. down to the tiny toes & fingernails.. folds in the ears & creases in the arms & back-- that it will no doubt be picked up or looked at very closely to go gaga over.. and the nose will not be one of those 'oh so perfect' parts..

though, babies --as cute as they are-- aren't all perfect either.. so maybe if i can get it 'passable', it'll just add character.

i kinda wished i hadn't jumped the gun, ykwim.. i just figured after i bought this one that i'd sell my duplicate whenever it gets here. now, i've ordered two of these and still don't have a baby icon_lol.gif

mrsbriggs06 Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Don't mean any disrespect but sorry that cake is just wrong...........who wants to cut into a *baby* that looks so real? icon_rolleyes.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif

it's just a bit of sculpted fondant icon_biggrin.gif
hopefully it won't be cut & if i can get it to turn out in gumpaste, i'll dry it in my dehydrator and it's more of a decoration/keepsake. ..tie a lil ribbon on it's bum & put it in a curio or clear box...

i agree that cakes shaped like babies (even their hind ends) shouldn't be cut.. and while i think belly cakes are cute.. it creeps me out that they get eaten!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 19

Oh............I thought it was a full size cake pan, I didn't realize it was just for a topper icon_redface.gif In that case...........I change my mind, it's adorable.

LOL!! The one with the *sunk in* nose could be Michael Jackson's baby!! icon_razz.gif It has the same nose that he does now. icon_lol.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 11 May 2009 , 10:52am
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

The one with the *sunk in* nose could be Michael Jackson's baby!! icon_razz.gif It has the same nose that he does now. icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:02pm
post #11 of 19

So were you able to fix the nose?

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:13pm
post #12 of 19

How naive am I???????????!!!! I honestly always thought that people shaped those by hand. I had no idea there was a mold to use.

Also, when I'd read that people used a stencil on a cake, I was under the impression that they somehow traced it onto the cake, then piped over it freehand. Now, I find out that you lay down the stencil, spackle some frosting over it, lift the stencil and call it a day!

So, learning all of these little tricks, I'm beginning to think there may be hope for me yet as a somewhat decent decorator!!! thumbs_up.gif

mrsbriggs06 Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:17pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

So were you able to fix the nose?

haven't attempted yet.. maybe today while the kids nap.. i'm sure i can't make it look worse.. icon_rolleyes.gif

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:45pm
post #14 of 19

poor little guy. I just want to cuddle him and tell him his beautiful.

mommachris

Harleyfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harleyfan Posted 12 May 2009 , 11:27am
post #15 of 19

Hi MrsBriggs06!

Send you a PM.... icon_biggrin.gif

~Harleyfan

mrsbriggs06 Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:03pm
post #16 of 19

woo hoo!

looks like i won't have to do reconstructive surgery after all!!

Alan from Global Sugar & Adrienne at First Impressions worked together and I should have my baby mold this week! Alan told me to keep the defective mold and I can try to salvage it if I want (I was scared to mess with it incase I had to send it back or anything).

I cannot stress how amazed I am by the customer service! I figured I would probably have to ship mine back, wait till Alan got it.. wait for another mold.. but this is just above & beyond the customer service I typically receive from retailers (online & off).

I'll post a pic of the cake this weekend!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 May 2009 , 7:52pm
post #17 of 19

Yeah!! That's awesome! I love Global Sugar!! They are really fast and so nice!!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:25am
post #18 of 19

So glad you sorted it out. Alan is the most wonderful person, always helpful I would have been happy to make you one & send it to you if there was more time. The baby girl I made (in my photo's) ended up being shipped to New York for the baby shower as Grannie who was going to take it with her ended up staying longer due to the fact that she slipped & broke a bone in her foot. It arrived in perfect condition. I was very happy.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:40am
post #19 of 19

The title made me laugh. All I could think was "If you ship me the sperm I'll ship you the baby!!!"

So, now I have to get a baby mold. That is ADORABLE!!!! I can't wait to do it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%