18 Year Old Boy Cake Idea Help - What To Make?

Decorating By sayhellojana Updated 11 May 2009 , 1:42am by sayhellojana

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 10 May 2009 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake for an 18th birthday at the end of this week. I have no idea what to make. He is athletic, bodybuilds and wrestles. He works at Starbucks and drives a suburban. That is all I know about him. I had thought about a 'naughty' cake or make a cake shaped like a container of protein powder, but neither of those ideas seem that great to me. Has anyone else done a cake for an 18 year old boy? What did you make? Thanks!

6 replies
ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 10 May 2009 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 7

I have a son who was 18 not long ago. I would have been more than displeased if someone had made a "naughty cake" for him. Actually, he would not have been pleased either. So, my suggestion is to look at some of your other great options.

The first thing I thought was to go with Starbucks. There are lots of great Starbucks themed cakes on this site for inspiration.

DegaDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DegaDee Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 7

I agree with ziggy, he might not like the "naughty cake". I would not have wanted that for my 18 yr old son, and he wouldn't have either.

My son turned 18 in 2007 and I did a life sized guitar cake identical to his favorite guitar, a Fender Strat. He was at college at the time and he and his dorm buddies loved it!

My daughter just turned 18 last month, I did a cake for her in zebra print accented with jewels, as she collects all kinds of jewelry.

You could always stack cakes large to small and add a bar at the top to make it look like weights. You could use RKT or a swiss cake roll at the top for the bar.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 7

I love to do novelty style cakes like that, i would make a little gumpaste figure with a body builder style vest on and big exagerated muscles and weights lying about the top of the cake, maybe a few tiny tins of protein powder lying about, etc

ive done female cakes like that with the figure made to look like the person in caracture and then tiny winebottles, handbags, pearls, perfume etc and everyone loved those tiny details.

sayhellojana Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 7

I really like the weights idea, I hadn't thought of that. I've never made a naughty cake and am in no rush to make one, but it was mentioned by the guy ordering the cake, so I gave it a thought. I like the weights idea a lot, maybe I can do a gymtype thing. thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:25am
post #6 of 7

I agree on the stacked weights - just use single layer 1" cakes, and make each one a different size, tiered, and frost in dark grey buttercream or fondant.

sayhellojana Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:42am
post #7 of 7

I hadn't thought stacked weights, I thought she ment weights like dumbells. I was thinking I could carve from a sheet cake, cut in half, and do the sides separately, then use RKT covered in fondant for the bar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%