First Cake Decorating Need Advice.

Decorating By mommix3 Updated 13 May 2009 , 2:56pm by mommix3

mommix3 Posted 10 May 2009 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 9

I was asked just the other day to make a cake for my aunt and uncle's 25th anniversary. Problem is that I have NEVER made a cake like this other than a plain birthday cake for my kids. WAY differant than a wedding anniversary gathering.. I don't even know where to start. I looked through the gallery and I think I would like to do a stacked or tiered cake nothing too fancy. Fondant is something that I would like to try. I have TWO weeks to come up with something. I know I can do it. I'm just needing some advice. Oh, and I have never tasted fondant but heard that it didn't taste good. Is this true? If so what is another option for a smooth looking cake. I need to know some basic supplies that I should get as well. I LOVE doing this kind of thing and I'm excited about being asked but I am a bit stressed. On top of this, I have other projects going as well.

Is a cake mix ok to use?? Brand suggestions??

8 replies
cakeinthebox4U Posted 10 May 2009 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 9

My suggestion would be to first look through the galleries and maybe post a picture of a cake you think you'd like to do and then CC'ers can help you out with what supplies you'd need to buy to do that cake and some tips/suggestions to help you along the way. I find everyone on here SUPER helpful being new to cake decorating myself and if you find a cake you'd like to do you can even try PM'ing the maker of it and see if they'd guide you along the way.

GOOD LUCK icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

laneysmom Posted 10 May 2009 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 9

Wow! I'm not sure where to start. First, I'd suggest getting a specific design in mind. Make sketches, figure out how to incorporate their interests or a theme into the cake. Then decide the logistics and how to: would your design be better in buttercream or fondant, are there things that have to be made ahead, and what ingredients or tools you'll need will depend on that.

'm a HUGE fan of fondant, but it can be a little tricky when you're not used to it. Get some or make some just to practice with. Knead it well before you even try to roll it, color it, or make anything with it. You'll need to get a sense of its texture--when to grease up your hands to give it moisture and when to add confectioners sugar when it's too sticky. As far as taste goes, marshmallow fondant tastes wonderful but can be alot of work to make, and I've had nothing but compliments on Satin Ice. But it's a matter of taste. That said, I'd stay away from Wilton fondant.

Good luck and be sure to post your pics!!

mommix3 Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:55am
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the advice. I checked out several books on cake decorating from the library today. I have been looking through them to get an idea of what I want to do. I know that I want a stacked cake. But I'm not sure how many "tiers" I want on it. The anniversary party is going to be an informal affair so I don't need something extravagant, But I want it to be memoriable. They are very special people to me. Their wedding was blue and white and this is their 25th anniversary so I'm thinking of doing blue and silver. I'm going Friday to get the stuff to make it. I'm also in charge of the decorations. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.. But I am SO excited to be able to do this for them.... I consider myself crafty and this is so much fun. Once I get past putting the cake together I'll be fine.

cakeinthebox4U Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:40am
post #5 of 9

Ohhh - here is a link to a really pretty silver and blue cake. To make it a bit easier on yourself you can use what ever kind of fresh flowers you like in blue icon_smile.gif

newnancy Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:58am
post #6 of 9

IMO I would start baking now. You can bake the cakes & freeze them. Wrap them in plastic wrap & then in foil & put them in the freezer. It will save you a lot of stress to get that out of the way & nobody will ever know they were frozen if well wrapped. The night before decorating take them out of the freezer & leave them fully wrapped on the counter to thaw. You will have time to make your icings, prepare your boards, flowers, etc. & be ready to go without doing everything at once. Good Luck!

L_Collins Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:01pm
post #7 of 9

Here's a link to a wonderful recipe for marshmallow fondant. This website really helped me get started with my cake baking.

I use this every time I make a cake with fondant. I agree with other forum comments. Play with it and you'll learn exactly how it should feel. It should be stretchy but not sticky, if that makes any sense at all.

As for cake mixes, I use Betty Crocker. I make sure to sift my cake mix before I add it to the other ingredients. I also turn my heat down to 325 and I bought these insulator strips that are pinned around the outside of the cake pan. It helps the cake rise evenly and ensures that the middle is done without the outside being overdone. I got mine at Michael's. I wouldn't bake a cake without them! Here is the link to the Wilton website for more information:

I would just be sure to practice before the actual date you need the cake. Most of all, have fun and I know your aunt and uncle will appreciate your effort. Good luck!

newnancy Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:03pm
post #8 of 9

You could use the WASC cake mix tastes great & freezes great. Look at the Wilton website for serving amounts to figure out what size cake you'll need according to how many people you'll want to feed.

mommix3 Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:56pm
post #9 of 9

Wow!! You guys are AWESOME!! Thanks so much for your help. I will be doing a birthday cake for my niece as a practice for the anniversary cake. I'm going to be getting it going today. Her bday party is Saturday and she will be 5. I'm sorta scared of fondant at this time so I will most likely use Butter cream icing. But I'm still going to use some fondant for accents. I have found so many ideas on this site and YES, it is addictive.. I was up until the wee hours of the morning looking at cakes in the gallery. There are way too many pages of awesome cakes..

Quote by @%username% on %date%