Refrigerating A Fondant/smbc Cake?

Decorating By yellowjacket Updated 10 May 2009 , 10:27pm by soygurl

yellowjacket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellowjacket Posted 10 May 2009 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making a stacked books cake for my brother's law school graduation. I usually use SMBC, and refrigerate it. I rarely cover cakes in fondant, so I'm not sure how it will hold up. The book covers will extend off of the cake just a tiny bit. Also, for decorations, the fondant will be painted with luster dust.

My concerns about refrigerating it are: Will the fondant get soft and the book covers look saggy? Will it sweat? Will the luster dust run?

Would it be ok to not refrigerate it? I'm decorating Friday, and the party is Saturday. So basically 24 hours.

Any fondant brand recommendations?

Thanks!

8 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 May 2009 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 9

Less than 24 hours? I wouldn't "sweat" it...no pun intended. I would just leave it in a nice cool room, maybe in a bakery box. 24 hours ain't a big deal. Unless it's super warm and humid, then I would worry about the icing melting.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 May 2009 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 9

I'm with Jaime... so long as there isn't anything in it that is perishable, it will be fine left out overnight in a cool place. icon_smile.gif

yellowjacket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellowjacket Posted 10 May 2009 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 9

I guess I just won't refrigerate it. I have left leftover cake out of the fridge overnight before and it's been fine. I've just always heard that IMBC/SMBC should be refrigerated, so I was nervous about serving it to so many people if it wasn't.

I just won't worry about it...If someone gets sick later, I can always blame it on the caterer! icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

cakelady45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady45 Posted 10 May 2009 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 9

I personally don't use anything except Satin Ice Fondant. I find it works the best and tastes good too. I have never had any trouble leaving cakes out 24 hours that are fondant covered. I try to make sure that the buttercream icing I use underneath (if I'm leaving cakes out) does not have any milk or heavy cream in it. Otherwise, I do refrigerate the fondant covered cakes. If you refrigerate it and it looks wet when you take it out, just leave it set for a little while and it will dry.

Good luck!

Teena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teena Posted 10 May 2009 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 9

I always refrigerate my cakes, fondant or not. I've never had any problems with sweating. I'd recommend Choco-Pan fondant for the fridge. The maker says you can put it in there.

MayWest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MayWest Posted 10 May 2009 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 9

I have done both; refrigerating a SMBC/Fondant covered cake and also leaving it out (no more than 24 hrs)...as far as leaving it out, don't be afraid it will be fine. As far as the edges sagging if you put it in the fridge (don't know).

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:11pm
post #8 of 9

i've heard tell putting fondant covered cake in the fridge makes it get hard. i am too afraid to try it and find out at the last minute it's screwed, though my gut tells me it will almost surely be fine. the only real experience i have with the like is my top layer of my wedding cake. i wrapped it and froze it til our first anniversary and when it thawed it was kinda soggy around the bottom but it tasted a lot better for some reason. i used wilton fondant and regular buttercream on that one

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:27pm
post #9 of 9

SMBC is FINE at room temp for several days!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%