Mailbox News: How Does A Ckae Get In There?

Decorating By pinkpiggie78 Updated 11 May 2009 , 4:16am by TexasSugar

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 30

I just got my first issue of Mailbox News and I was wondering how do the photos get selected to be put in the magazine? Do readers submit their own work?

29 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 30

YEs. That's how I did it and I've had two in American Cake Decorating. Either in the magz or on their website are the guidelines for submission.

http://www.americancakedecorating.com/rds/sendpix.php

indydebi Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 30

P.S. Does anyone have a promotion code to subscribe to these magz's? I need to renew.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 30

Thanks indydebi! I was actually really happy with the issue (not how long it took to get here, but that is another story) and I was happy to see all the cakes weren't done by the super-professionals! I guess getting a pic of one of my cakes in there will be my next goal!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 10 May 2009 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 30

I have had 3 cakes in there...one was selected as Cake of the Month.
Sorry, indydebi, I just call when I need to renew if I don't have the renewal form they send me.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 10 May 2009 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 30

That's awesome Mac! I would probably dance around the house for weeks if my cake was the Cake of the Month. I was on a high for days after I found out that I got second place in the Great American Cake show competition!

Mac Posted 10 May 2009 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 30

It was so funny...I was attending my second ICES convention (2 years ago in Nebraska) and took my "Lone Star" cake. At set-up, you take your cake over to have pictures taken. While I was waiting, a lady said they had already taken a pic of my cake. I told them no, they couldn't have because I had just gotten there. After a few puzzling moments and the lady swearing that she had taken a pic of it...she remembered that it was selected as Cake of the Month (she worked at Mailbox News) and THAT was where she had seen the pic I sent in. When she told me, I was on cloud 9 the rest of the convention.

At my first ICES convention 3 years ago in Texas, I was at the breakfast and looking thru the Mailbox News. I saw a cake and thought "Wow, someone made a cake just like mine." Looked down at the description and there was my name...I was shocked.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 10 May 2009 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 30

That's just great Mac! I couldn't even imagine!

On a side note, I would LOVE to go to convention... I have heard so many wonderful things about it.

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 10 May 2009 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 30

I ordered this mag a few months ago & still have not gotten my first one in icon_sad.gif Guess I will keep waiting. Where in East Texas are you Mac? I am also in East Texas @ 2 hrs south east of Dallas in a little itty bitty town LOL.

Mac Posted 10 May 2009 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 30

I am in Longview, which is about 2 hours east of Dallas...how about you?

It does take awhile to get your subcription started...call to make sure.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 10 May 2009 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 30

I placed my order in Sept and this was the first MBN I received... and it was the March/April issue.

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 10 May 2009 , 6:22pm
post #12 of 30

I sent a photo to MBN 2 years ago and was thrilled to find out they used it in the March/April 2009 issue. It just goes to show that you never know when your photo might fit their need.

Congratulations, Mac, on Cake of the Month. I was on Cloud 9 just getting into the magazine, so I can only imagine how you felt!

pinkpiggie78 Posted 10 May 2009 , 6:45pm
post #13 of 30

Indydebi.. I didn't mean to leave you out... congrats on MBN and ACD! I'm not surprised!

txsteph Posted 10 May 2009 , 7:01pm
post #14 of 30

I looked online & I am supposed to be sent the June issue. I can not wait!! I am not far from Longview, I live outside Palestine. Do you know where that is?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 May 2009 , 7:47pm
post #15 of 30

Indy - Are you talking about the little cards that come in the magazine that usually offer a deal? I have some of the little cards, but there's no deal. I can send it to you if you want.

indydebi Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:02pm
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Indy - Are you talking about the little cards that come in the magazine that usually offer a deal? I have some of the little cards, but there's no deal. I can send it to you if you want.

If you go online to subscribe or renew, there is a space for a promo code. This usually means a discount if you have a code, so I'm hunting for one! thumbs_up.gif Sometimes it's a radio personality's name ("Just enter 'Laura' in the promo code box!") from a radio ad.....stuff like that.

Mac Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:15pm
post #17 of 30

Yes, I know where Palestine is. Growing up, my grandmother knew someone in ALL the little towns that grew something. We would go to Carthage to get beans, Jasper to get corn, Corsicana for something else..I mean we made the circuit.

indydebi Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:27pm
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

Yes, I know where Palestine is. Growing up, my grandmother knew someone in ALL the little towns that grew something. We would go to Carthage to get beans, Jasper to get corn, Corsicana for something else..I mean we made the circuit.

icon_lol.gif I had to do a double-take to see what state you were in. Jasper Indiana is 2+ hours from me; Carthage Indiana is 25 minutes away; Palestine is a couple of hours and we even have a NEW Palestine (commonly referred to as "New Pal") about 20 minutes away. I thought we were neighbors! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Mac Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:29pm
post #19 of 30

How funny--
Maybe you are my long lost sister in my long lost home state? Or could it be the Twilight Zone? Nah, Texan to the bone.

txsteph Posted 10 May 2009 , 11:53pm
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

icon_lol.gif I had to do a double-take to see what state you were in. Jasper Indiana is 2+ hours from me; Carthage Indiana is 25 minutes away; Palestine is a couple of hours and we even have a NEW Palestine (commonly referred to as "New Pal") about 20 minutes away. I thought we were neighbors! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Too funny. My FIL always says that different states have same city names because people who settled there would move later on & re-name the new city the same as the one they just left. But I still never thought there would be a Palestine in another state.

indydebi Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:04am
post #21 of 30

I was surprised to learn (via mapquest) there is an Indianapolis in Iowa and in Oklahoma. I mean, ya kinda expect a city named INDIANApolis to be in INDIANA, ya know? icon_eek.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:16am
post #22 of 30

Deb & All-here is the promo code from my box of cake flour-SAS06
It doesnt say what the deal is though, it just says $24.95/year. That is only for ACD, not sure about mailbox news but I know they go together.

Hope that helps!
Lisa

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:21am
post #23 of 30

TxStep, I'm in Tyler, so I'm a neighbor as well. icon_smile.gif

I keep meaning to send some pics in to them, but I always forget and can't decide which to send. One day though...

txsteph Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:26am
post #24 of 30

Hi Sugar! We sure are neighbors! I am in Tyler often going to Michaels & Hobby Lobby, since we don't have one here.

TexasSugar Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:57am
post #25 of 30

I'm the Wilton Instructor at Michaels. icon_smile.gif

txsteph Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:10am
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I'm the Wilton Instructor at Michaels. icon_smile.gif

Oh Cool!! I was just looking on the Wilton site about classes and was going to call the store tomorrow about the next Class 1. I have not taken any & I am wanting to. Now you can give me the info LOL

TexasSugar Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:21am
post #27 of 30

I'm possibly starting a Course 1 this Tuesday. I have class tomorrow night and will check the sign in book then to see if I have the 4 people I need to start the Course 1 on Tues.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:35am
post #28 of 30

Are these good magazines? What is the difference between the two? Are there lots of pages? I was looking at it and it seems a little expensive for only getting 6 issues a year. Is it mostly ads or is it loading with ideas and tips? Just wondering if its worth it.

indydebi Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:41am
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Are these good magazines? What is the difference between the two? Are there lots of pages? I was looking at it and it seems a little expensive for only getting 6 issues a year. Is it mostly ads or is it loading with ideas and tips? Just wondering if its worth it.

Surprisingly, not many ads. Lots of cake pics; a how-to each month. ACD is really a good cake magazine for people who do cakes.

TexasSugar Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:16am
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

I really enjoy them both. They come to my mom address since I never bothered doing a change of address with them after I moved and she always opens them and looks through them before I get them. And she doesn't make cakes. icon_smile.gif

Mailbox News is a good showcase of cake pictures. It has pictures from all levels and themes. It's a great reference for ideas.

ACD has more how to's and other cake information in it.

If you get them both you are going to receive a magazine once a month. I don't think I could only do one and have to wait two months for another cake fix. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%