Bubble Gum Roses?

Decorating By maddiseeyore Updated 11 May 2009 , 6:29am by Shamitha

maddiseeyore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddiseeyore Posted 10 May 2009 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 19

I came across this site today on how to make roses out of bubble gum! http://www.baking911.com/decorating/cakes_bubblegum_roses.htm
Has anyone ever tried this? It seems like a great idea for kids cakes. I'm just not sure how you would get all the small pieces of gum together to make a larger sheet? Anyone know? Anyone tried this before?

18 replies
Cupcakeluv24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeluv24 Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 19

I have not tried it but it seem interesting and I can't imagine that it would be any harder to work with the fondant roses. You could use Bubble Tape to get the longer sheets as you can cut it to any length you wish.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 19

The link didn't work. Can you try again, please?

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 19

i cant get the link to open. Can you type the web address please?

I've made flowers from candy. I've used Starburts, Now & Laters & Tootsie Rolls.

I dont see why you couldnt use gum, I assume sticks of gum, but how would you get it soft enough? The microwave?

Im curious now. I love using different things to decorate, especially if they taste better than gumpaste. ( I finally found the ultimate MMF recipe, so thats no longer a concern) icon_razz.gif

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 19

I found this link while searching for bubble gum roses when I tried the link above it took me somewhere else but it's the same one as above, weird eh icon_biggrin.gif Hope this one works.

http://www.baking911.com/decorating/cakes_bubblegum_roses.htm

maddiseeyore Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 19

Ok, I'm typing the link out: hope this works!

www.baking911.com/decorating/cakes_bubblegum_roses.htm

JessDesserts Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 19

those do not work either, something is missing from the address.

The last time I encountered this, it was a site that CC wouldnt allow the name to be typed.

I just did a search and I believe I found it.

The first word rhymes with 'caking' the second part is a 3 number combination that you call in an emergency.

Am I correct?

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 19

I've made them. They are very heavy. At least mine were. They smelled just like gum and the one I saved for months still smelled like bubble gum but was pretty hard by then.

Personally, I think they were a lot of work for kid's cakes. I mean, they are roses. I might try modelling a pink elephant or something.

Starburst are probably lots lighter and they sound like a great idea!

Julie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie53 Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:41pm
post #9 of 19

I found one with instructions, hopefully this one will work.
http://www.baking911.com/decorating/cakes_bubblegum_roses.htm

Julie53 Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:43pm
post #10 of 19

Sorry I just realized that it was the same one. It is too bad that it doesn't work- it is a good one. Back to the drawing board! icon_cool.gif

maddiseeyore Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:43pm
post #11 of 19

Yes JessDesserts, you are right about the "caking" and the number you call in an emergency! Why isn't it allowed on this site? I don't want to be breaking some kind of CC rule by posting this site! I just thought they were kind of interesting. If someone could enlighten me that would be great. I had never heard of making flowers or anything else from flattend gum or candy before and it seems kind of cool.
Makes sense that it might be kind of heavy. But I bet kids would love them!

sugarlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlicious Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:46pm
post #12 of 19

Here is the link I found on Youtube showing the whole process, looks like great idea for kids cakes!

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ThePastryDiva&view=videos

JessDesserts Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:50pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiseeyore

Yes JessDesserts, you are right about the "caking" and the number you call in an emergency! Why isn't it allowed on this site? I don't want to be breaking some kind of CC rule by posting this site! I just thought they were kind of interesting. If someone could enlighten me that would be great. I had never heard of making flowers or anything else from flattend gum or candy before and it seems kind of cool.
Makes sense that it might be kind of heavy. But I bet kids would love them!

Maddiseeyore, IDK why certain sites aren't allowed on CC, I just remember the same thing happened once before. I didn't want the OP to assume it was a mistake on her part and continue typing the link.

It is what it is. icon_confused.gif

Julie53 Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:50pm
post #14 of 19

OK, here is a way to get to it...

http:baking911.com/decorating/cakes_bubblegum_roses.htm

put that in the browser, and it is the 4th one down. Hopefully, that will help also!

JessDesserts Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:54pm
post #15 of 19

[quote="Starburst are probably lots lighter and they sound like a great idea![/quote]

Lorrieg, the great thing about Starbursts are all the vibrabt colors they come in and also the wide variety of flavors.
I wish I had a pic of the flowers I made with a package of mixed berry Starbursts. They were swirled and ended up being very pretty.

Maybe i'll try to make them again and remember to take a pic this time.

BTW, that little duckie in your avatar is precious! ! ! ! ! ! ! thumbs_up.gif

maddiseeyore Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:33pm
post #16 of 19

JessDesserts, how did you make them with Starbursts? I'm assuming that several candies have to be joined together to make a big enough sheet to cut the petals out of; so how do they get joined together? Did you put them through a pasta machine somehow? If you could share.... icon_biggrin.gif

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 10 May 2009 , 3:55pm
post #17 of 19

Just type making Bubble gum roses

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 10 May 2009 , 4:38pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessDesserts

[quote="Starburst are probably lots lighter and they sound like a great idea!

Lorrieg, the great thing about Starbursts are all the vibrabt colors they come in and also the wide variety of flavors.
I wish I had a pic of the flowers I made with a package of mixed berry Starbursts. They were swirled and ended up being very pretty.

Maybe i'll try to make them again and remember to take a pic this time.

BTW, that little duckie in your avatar is precious! ! ! ! ! ! ! thumbs_up.gif[/quote]

Jessdesserts, I'll give them a try with the starbursts then. The colours sound good. I just made them like a regular gumpaste rose but formed the petals by hand. I guess I could roll the gum and put it through my pasta machine.
Thanks about my duckie. That cake was my favourite of all even over the fancy ones I've made. it's in my gallery. icon_biggrin.gif

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 11 May 2009 , 6:29am
post #19 of 19

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%