Have To Pass On A Cake...

Decorating By mommachris Updated 12 May 2009 , 4:13am by luvsfreebies72

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 10 May 2009 , 5:44am
post #1 of 6

A very sweet couple asked me to make their cake in November. We haven't had a meeting yet. It would have been my first paid wedding cake.

The trouble is that they have invited 240 people. They both have huge families so it's not a gift grab situation. We only talked for a minute because I had to leave but just after she took my number they used the 'B' word icon_cry.gif

They mentioned that they needed to keep the cost down so they were asking people they knew at church to do their pictures, catering, etc. they said they knew that it would cost less that way rather than going to the bakery which has gross cakes. They are right our only bakery in town makes nasty tasting cakes.
The next morning I was at Walmart and decided to do a little research.
They only charge $215 for a cake to feed 200 people. icon_eek.gif

That is like one dollar a serving!!

There is no way I can make them a cake for that much. I'm going to have to advise the couple to get their cake at the store. Even though I'd love to do this wedding I just know they really won't be able to afford me.
They are going to be so disappointed. I know I am. icon_sad.gif

mommachris

5 replies
luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 10 May 2009 , 5:48am
post #2 of 6

It's $1.08 per serving, to be exact.

I would not advise them to go elsewhere. I would just quote them a price. It's up to them to decide if they want affordable or if they want beautiful and delicious.

edited for typos galore!

edited a 2nd time 'cause I found another one! sheesh

Madiken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Madiken Posted 10 May 2009 , 5:53am
post #3 of 6

I agree. You never know, they may be pinching pennies in other places so they can afford a really great cake!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 10 May 2009 , 6:42am
post #4 of 6

Remember indydebi's 60% rule....they may have invited 240 people, but chances are only about 60% will show up. That's only ..144? Quote them the price you want for the cake for 240, and if they balk, then suggest to them they might in reality need a smaller cake. Just a suggestion.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:15am
post #5 of 6

thanks for the encouragement.
I suppose I am making assumptions that may not be true. I'll take your advise and find out what they want and give them a quote.
Who knows, they may actually still want me to bake for them.

mommachris

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:13am
post #6 of 6

yay! Let us know what happens. I'm very interested to know

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%